Battery relocation

If you are going to relocate it in the boot it would be good to use 50-75mm2 cable for the safety. Remember to add a fuse near the battery in case the cable peels off for some reason then you won't burn the whole car.

If you are going to relocate it in the boot it would be good to use 50-75mm2 cable for the safety. Remember to add a fuse near the battery in case the cable peels off for some reason then you won't burn the whole car.

Thinking about doing this sometime soon, what do you mean in regards to adding a fuse near battery ?

Stevie

Thinking about doing this sometime soon, what do you mean in regards to adding a fuse near battery ?

Stevie

If you have a fuse near the battery(in a boot) and the cable gets shortcircuited the fuse will burn.

If you don't have a fuse (or have it in an engine bay) and the cable gets shortcircuited there's is nothing to stop the current.

If you use too thin cable you'll get voltage drop as the cable works like a resistor in this case and could overheat too.

Edited by JayJ

So meaning that I run my live wire from engine loom to a mega fuse (within a fuse holder) at the battery, and run the live wire off the battery post to the fuse holder ??

What amp of fuse should I use ??

Is 322/0.30 170amp cable ok ??

Cheers Stevie

640/0.30mm might be better.

Do it like this:

[battery+]----[fuse]----------[engine bay] connect this end to where your current battery post connects at the moment

[battery-]-----[earth] connect this end to car's shell in a boot

Clear? :)

Car audio stores could be the right place to find the cables and connectors. You can also replace the fuse with an automatic circuit breaker, so you don't have to have a spare fuse at all.

Usually boat shops sell those and they look like this

Check your current main fuse rating and go with the same rating for a circuit breaker. Don't take too low rated as the starter motor can take a lot of current. I think 100A or 150A would be enough though

Edited by JayJ