brake pad fitting help

the sr has started giving bother with the brakes, griding sound constantly and even worse when im braking so i went today and got new brake pads, problem is i havent the first idea how to fit em and i havent ANY money whatsoever to pay for someone to fit em, ive been told they are relitivly easy to fit so can somone pls give me an easy guide to fitting new pads please

ok mate jack the car up at one side and place in axle stand

remove wheel!!

turn steering wheel out so the brake caliper is facing out to give you best view.

there will be two 12mm bolts on the caliper remove them and the caliper will lift off

remove braked fluid res. cap and gently push back piston in caliper (be careful not to nip the seal)

remove brake pads and fit new ones. fit caliper back on tighten bolts.

slowly pump up pedal. fit wheel.

and take it easy for a while till the brake pads have bedded in!!

hope i aint left any thing out!!!

• 3 weeks later...

you have to press the piston in and twist it (anti clockwise from memory) to push the piston in so it can fit over the new pads.

The fronts you only need to push them in and dont need to twist it.

The twisting past is for the handbrake.

Ivan

• 3 years later...

Resurecting an old thread as Im changing my front pads, and thought Id make sure I (almost) know what Im doing.

remove braked fluid res. cap and gently push back piston in caliper (be careful not to nip the seal)

Could someone explain this bit in a little more detail?

Do I need to drain the fluid or anything?

If someone could give me a detailed walk through, that would be awesome!

Cheers,

Oz

when you have changed the pads over and are putting it back together you need to compress the piston so it will fit over the new pads,

to do this get a G clamp and put it in the piston and the other side on the back of the caliper and titan it up then it will fit over.

do not need to do anything with the fluid and never drain it

when you have changed the pads over and are putting it back together you need to compress the piston so it will fit over the new pads,

to do this get a G clamp and put it in the piston and the other side on the back of the caliper and titan it up then it will fit over.

do not need to do anything with the fluid and never drain it

Cool, thanks for the reply. Thats good news!

So I dont need to touch the brake fluid resevour cap?

Cheers ,

Oz

Cool, thanks for the reply. Thats good news!

So I dont need to touch the brake fluid resevour cap?

Cheers ,

Oz

i woodent, what it is is that when your pads wear down the fluid gos down in the reservoir gos gown to compensate,

sum people top it up when if gos down, if this has been dun then when you compress the piston it forces the reservoir to over flow!

if you do all the work on your car then you can use the level of brake fluid to tell what condition your pads are in

tin