Gearbox issues, or something!

Hey guys

Car has been set for a week and when parked, it was running alright. Drove it about half a mile but my gear lever went soft / no resistance. I tried to downshift into second and there was nothing there, the engine just revved as if I was in neutral. I managed to get first and parked her, but I cannot get any other gear apart from first. The clutch feels fine, and I couldn't see any hydrolic leaks. Also if I put it in reverse for example, the gear stick stays in the reverse position but I'm still in neutral. Not getting any strange noises from the gearbox though.

Is it something up with my box and any ideas from my description what is needed to fix it? or could it be something else.

Thank you smile.gif

I couldn't see anything broken but it's hard to tell, the car is so low. Didn't see anything hanging down when I looked in the engine bay. If it was broken, I can't see how id be able to engage first gear?

Right guys, We've had a look and it does appear to be connected at the gearbox end, and you can see the linkage/mechanism move when the gears are engaged. One thing I've noticed is that the cable doesn't seem to sit in the hole. When I pushed it in, it seemed to engage one of the gears. When going back to neutral, it popped back out. I've uploaded a video to here : http://www.alanarnold.co.uk/glanza2/IMG_0698_Gearlink.MOV'>http://www.alanarnold.co.uk/glanza2/IMG_0698_Gearlink.MOV - and picture below. How do I fix this!?

IMG_1229_Gearlink.jpg

Thanks guys

Looking at that picture it looks like its snapped, or very nearly snapped, there should be a thickish cable going through that hole into the gaitor.

Also I've never seen a tube coming of the speedo drive like yours before :s

Edited by morgey

As the guys have stated replace the cable. Looks to have snapped for the majority externally, although the inner cable might be hanging on in there just by the fact the outer casing has rotated and you can kind of get a gear.

Found a few pics in my photobucket to give you an idea of what they look like removed from the car, might help give you a heads up of what you'll be up against replacing them:

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

Edited by The_Notorious_C_A_T
As the guys have stated replace the cable. Looks to have snapped for the majority externally, although the inner cable might be hanging on in there just by the fact the outer casing has rotated and you can kind of get a gear.

Found a few pics in my photobucket to give you an idea of what they look like removed from the car, might help give you a heads up of what you'll be up against replacing them:DSCF0090.jpgDSCF0081.jpg

This is great, cheers. Do you know how much the replacement cables cost and how long did it take you to fit? Or is it worth me just paying someone to do the job properly!

Ok mate. For anyone in the same bloody annoying position as me, here's some useful details from Toyota.

• Part 33821C x3 Rubber Bushings, £3.71
  • Part 33821 x1 Left Gear selector cable £178.78
  • Part 33822 x1 Right Gear selector cable £153.19
  • Part 90468-14016 x4 Horse shoe clips £3.00 approx
  • Part 90468-14034 x1 Clip £1.37
  • Part 90468-14021 x1 Clip £1.25
I've bought a second hand set of cables and shifter and will use those, but will be renewing all the clips, bushes, washers etc with the above. Should have it all by the weekend

Ill upload a diagram tomorrow so you can see what parts go where

Edited by Arnold