turbo information wiki

Just wondered about this because I look at turbos and people build threads but don't have a clue what the advantages and disadvantages are of certain turbos?

What do people think? I think it would help people decide which turbo would be best suited to setups and the like

I think it would help people decide which turbo would be best suited to setups and the like

That's the problem, setups vary quite a lot and if you have someone else building the engine it would be best to ask them what they would recommend based on your target HP level.

A drag, circuit or street driven motor are all built differently. Well they should be anyway.

The best thing is to read compressor flow maps, do a few calculations and work out what turbo will suit you and your application.

I did a write up on TGTT a little while a go on how to read compressor flow maps, but stupidly deleted the pictures from photobucket. Although getting numbers and gathering data from a flow map is good, it doesn't give a 100% accurate answer as we all know turbo's vary depending on how efficient the turbine side is, but it does give a good indication of what you are likely to achieve.

I'll be willing to write another "How to" on flow maps if someone wants me to?

Edited by AdamB

That's the problem, setups vary quite a lot and if you have someone else building the engine it would be best to ask them what they would recommend based on your target HP level.

A drag, circuit or street driven motor are all built differently. Well they should be anyway.

The best thing is to read compressor flow maps, do a few calculations and work out what turbo will suit you and your application.

I did a write up on TGTT a little while a go on how to read compressor flow maps, but stupidly deleted the pictures from photobucket. Although getting numbers and gathering data from a flow map is good, it doesn't give a 100% accurate answer as we all know turbo's vary depending on how efficient the turbine side is, but it does give a good indication of what you are likely to achieve.

I'll be willing to write another "How to" on flow maps if someone wants me to?

Oh, gone on then. :D