Overheating...got half an idea need gurus

hi all jsut put my gearbox in and new manifold ect flushed the oil and new oil

man problem is the thermostat isnt opening...the top pipe is'nt going hard and wont allow water into the rad

i snapped this sensor but im woundering this cant be the coolant temp sensor because the temp gauge is working...is this why the thermostat aint opening...i thought thermostats worked with wax and it opened via heat??

here the snesor 19mm thing when pulled out has a little bronze thing that pokes into the engine 2 wire afair

http://s252.photobucket.com/user/weddy1988/media/null_zps8cdf467d.jpg.html'>null_zps8cdf467d.jpg

car keeps heating up fan kicks in but not enough to cool the car ...like sed top hoose isnt hard no water running through

the EML light is also on to ?...its wierd though as it was working before i drained the coolant and took the rad out

is the a certain place i should fill the system up as it took about 20mm in the header over flow tank at the right hand side of the rad...i'm guessing there is no water in the engine but how can i get water in the engine if u know what i mean sure the thermostat couldent be gubbed

From cold start the car with the rad cap off, heaters on full and keep putting water/coolant in the radiator whilst bringing it up to temp. Once it seems to be full pop the cap on, top the header tank up and wait for the fans to cycle a couple of times and check interior heaters are hot. Turn off and cool down.

Check fluid levels and possibly repeat until heaters blow hot.

Edited by morgey

the EML light is also on to ?...its wierd though as it was working before i drained the coolant and took the rad out

is the a certain place i should fill the system up as it took about 20mm in the header over flow tank at the right hand side of the rad...i'm guessing there is no water in the engine but how can i get water in the engine if u know what i mean sure the thermostat couldent be gubbed

Do a diagnostic test for the EML light mate.

You should try and bleed the cooling system of air locks, Morgey explains how above.

The thermostat seal normally breaks on them, remove it and check or even replace, they are a known common problem and for the sake of a few quid its worth swapping for a new one.

got a new coolant temp sensor off an MR2 fits a beut...so eml is out now...bled the system again no over heating cools a little treat....thr blower for the fans dont work though as ive jsut noticed on hot or cold no fans atall

anyone know the fuse number and were the location of the fusebox is

bloody driveshaft oil seal is leaking on the drivers side also so going to check if shaft is in properly , apart from that its built and running well idling at around 750RPM ...slight hiccups on idle i'm guessing this is normal maybe a hiccup every minute or so just a light miss it sounds like

Thermostat is mechnical... Opens when the water is at the temp its designed for...

There not expensive put a new one in, its not worth messing about...

EP's have 2 sensors 1 for the gauge and 1 for the ECU. Chances are the one of the ECU was the one u broke...

incdeed socks from what i read it can controll fueling ect ect...all replaced now and everything wired up and bled....except the driveshaft seal is leaking my 13 quid a liter gearbox oil, unsire if its clicked in properly though , anyone knowhow to take the seals out as will just use the ones out my old box?