Replacing stock map sensor

Is it possible to replace the stock 2bar map sensor with a 3bar map sensor?

The three wires on a map sensor, as far as im aware are: MAP signal, 5V reference, and sensor ground.

So if you wired these up correctly it would work?

Lots of folk swap them out for the ST205 GT4 3bar one, i think its that one anyway, has a purple sticker on it.

Thats when using management though, don't think the standard ECU would read it ?? Could be wrong but.

yea the fuel computer would compensate

i guess an adjustable fuel pressure regulator could compensate too, since an HKS FCD has a similar affect on voltage as upping the size of the sensor
well ive got a greddy one sitting in my room, was gonna try it

Edited by Weyro

if its only 0-5v why cant the ecu read it?

i thought it would be able to read the signal, just wont fuel correctly because the signal now represents a higher pressure

Edited by Weyro

yea so if 4.15v means 0.85bar on our 2bar sensors, then 4.15v should mean around 1.77bar on a 3bar map sensor, but the ecu will only fuel enough for 0.85bar

Edited by Weyro

lol am sure they are cheaper than the likes of a Greddy item so would save people money when upgrading to programmable management.

Fucked FTE club, I'm in the bare shell engine in bits starlet club lol.

Ya don't swap that my mate done it with a mr2 sensor he loved the power increase (running lean) he's a mechanic and didn't take the hint of it dropping plug tips and I also told him it won't be working right he got beat by a vts put it back on, beat the vts...

Melted a piston, seized his engine etc etc

ive got a wideband though, so i should be able to sort the fueling out

how does it differ from using an HKS FCD? i thought both would have the same effect since they are changing the voltage by a percentage

setting 8 on an HKS fcd moves fuel cut from 0.85bar to around 1.2

running a 2.5bar sensor would move it to around 1.3 bar

and a 3bar sensor to 1.77bar

I don't think it quiet works how your thinking mate, Definately research it heavily, you may be right but I believe that your current ECU wont be able to read the map sensor because of the scaling of the ECU. If you were to use one yod need an ECU that is programmed to read that map sensor. I may well be wrong so don't take that as gospel, but I'd certainly not rush into it as it'll potentially become very expensive.

Also, I wouldn't push your engine if your going to forge it, either you can sell yours for decent money which can help find the forged build or you can use your engine, and components to build the new engine.

Edited by TurboTobz

I thought by scaling it means that rather than 0-5v representing absolute 0-2bar it now represents absolute 0-3bar.

Which works out at 0.36v per 0.16bar, which becomes 0.36v per 0.24bar.

Edited by Weyro