PEC forged rods opinions?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/BoobZ18/media/DSCN4333_zps673e8806.jpg.html'>DSCN4333_zps673e8806.jpg

Only real problem I've seen with the Pec rods though, have heard that their quality control isn't the best either.

Thread was posted the other day about people using forged con rods from China and people were going to buy them. Try these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-4EFTE-1-3L-H-Beam-Connecting-Rod-Conrod-Con-Rod-Rods-bielle-pleuel-ARP-/151042368225?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item232ad3a2e1

That engine was stripped by Tim @TBdevelopments, here's what he had to say about it :

"no this was the worst one of 4 after a major failure. All 4 conrods had very slight bends in them only running slightly above stock power. Because of the bends it caused the bearing to overload on 1 side leading to bearing failure. This one was the first one to majorly fail where the bearing grabbed, spun then welding itself to the crank causing that huge bend and then pushing itself out the side of the engine block casing.

all 4 bearings were in a state of failure, but this one was the first to grab and then the resulting damage was caused from that event. so that bend wasn't caused from normal operation. but the initial bends in all 4 rods were down to just poor construction which lead to this"

Nothing wrong with pec rods mate any product could come faulty and if every rod had a bend in them it should have been picked up on before they even went into the engine surly it would have been noticed during balencing and I think pec rods are made by cosworth my pec rods came is cosworth stamped boxes

Don't let that pic scare you mate it could happen to any rod or piston and no they aren't you have to get your block notched to fit scat rods and its only very small difference

Edited by rinseep82

i guess so, I just cant afford to have a set of rods go on me :( Im going to be skint just buying the bits, lucky im rebuilding the engine myself, got all the machine work covered where i have an engineering workshop in my garage :) so my budget is a little tight, i didnt plan on going forged, only due to my pistons going bye bye

Tbf, forged components are obviously a great deal stronger than stock, but they're not indestructible. Under the wrong conditions any component will eventually die.

Taggy melted the first set of forged pisons that went in his EP70 (not sure if they got to the bottom of the cause).

I guess the point is that a couple of bad pictures shouldn't scare you as it could happen to any part and it's pretty rare to see from any of the 'established' manufacturers.

if its about quality control etc - buy pauter imo there 4e i-section has been the top rod in the market for years.

if you want the best cost like i would need id be buying maxspeedingrods from them directly.

even offer to buy a few sets to get the price down them sell them on.

Phil

i would more into the maxspeeding rods but only way of getting them is buy posting overseas, the money id pay on import duty and other fees will probably be half the amount i pay for the rods lol!!

Has anyone had 4E/5E rods fail from PEC? I don't see a problem with them. I'm using them in my 5E build, along with several customers. Nobody has complained about them to us. Browner uses them and his car is/was running 383bhp.