PEC forged rods opinions?

Like I said, its the first problem I've actually heard of of the Pec rods, although I have heard from quite a few people that their quality control is lacking somewhat. I wouldn't let it be enough to put anyone off buying their products, as they have had a number of happy customers.

Although I agree with Phil, if you want the best its Pauter all the way, unless you fancy spending quite a bit on some custom Carillo's. Although other brands have been proved time and time again.

All down to preference really at the end of the day, have heard scat/Pec are a bit of a pain to balance.

Edited by AdamB
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think you can say a bad thing about pec rods ive had 4 engines built with these and never had a problem. TIm should call PEC and question the problem as i spoke to the owner and hes never had anyone question these or had this problem on these rods.

do i need to have my block notched for any forged rods then?

adam has answered this i know,

only thing id add is that notching the block is very simple job you can do yourself once you get your block back from the machine shop/engineer, therefore costs nothing and only takes an evening of time.

investing abit of time into your build yourself will be enjoyable too.

Phil

Dont think you can say a bad thing about pec rods ive had 4 engines built with these and never had a problem. TIm should call PEC and question the problem as i spoke to the owner and hes never had anyone question these or had this problem on these rods.

did you have to notch your block for any of these builds with these rods?

did you have to notch your block for any of these builds with these rods?

Every block needed to be notched not a major thing to do like phil and adam said its somthing you can do your self and just a couple hours work if you take your time.

You'll know exactly what to do when you fit the rods to the crank and rotate it. You can then judge how much material needs to be taken off the bottom of the cylinder.

Only thing that's ever bothered me is expansion rates, or is it minimal?

Only thing that's ever bothered me is expansion rates, or is it minimal?

minimal, pistons once upon a time had high silicone content (7%) but most big brands now dont.

i dont think that was ever an issue with rods, also you arent dealing with tight tolerances at all when notching a block or at least that wouldnt be a sensible aim to have.

Phil

minimal, pistons once upon a time had high silicone content (7%) but most big brands now dont.

Phil

This is true, but the Wossner pistons still use the highest silicone content out of all the pistons I've ever seen for the E series engines.

Just wondered, hmm I suppose it's something that'd become clearer when you have done it and can see it, what sort of size would the notch be out of curiosity any ideas?

A couple mm depth will be plenty, but obviously its easier to judge when its there infront of you. Expansion rates are very minimal, although you do have to remember that the higher the rev limit, the more the rod stretches.

sounds good guys! i may be buying some 2nd hand wiseco pistons and scat rods, 6 months old apparently, think its worth it? havnt negotiated a price yet but what's the wear like on these?