overheating issue after rebuild (videos added)

so I forged my engine and ive had numorous minor issues which all have been resolved,

but i went for a spirited drive for about 15 mins tonight and started over heating shes had a new thermostat a new civic rad and fan plus new coolant.

but when I built it I noticed that the new toyota water pump didn't seem to spin very freely I just put it down to being new but now im wondering if this is my problem

I guess there could maybe be a little air still in the system

anyone have any suggestions as im kinda scratching my head now :cray:

Edited by russ78
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are both hoses getting hot. Remove thermostat and check to see if operating. Failing that could have a air lock. Most water pumps I've ever used on various cars trucks spin free tbh

both hoses are getting hot yeah, the water pump I would say had resistance didn't spin freely

surely that indicates the pumps functioning and waters going round

yeah mikey it does but what does that leave ???

fan works as it should new rad, new thermostat, new coolant, new water pump heater blows hot and cold fine ?

im confused

Edited by russ78

Did you say you bled the system again? The heater pipes one off the thermo housing if I'm correct? So, just because there's heat doesn't mean the pums working, correct me if I'm wrong though. Could be that the pumps struggling to pump it round. I'd probably check the pump tbf mate :( ( pain on these. With the engine in :( )

Edited by Danza V

Did you say you bled the system again? The heater pipes one off the thermo housing if I'm correct? So, just because there's heat doesn't mean the pums working, correct me if I'm wrong though. Could be that the pumps struggling to pump it round

that's what im thinking, might be pumps struggling to push it round but no way to test it is there ?

Well, you could try to get down there, remove the belt and spin it, if its still tight then it's possibly that.. Should spin nice and smooth. Is like making a noise or anything?

Edited by Danza V

Generally speaking you won't get hot air if it's thermostat. Did you check the If it's pressurising the system?

Take the rad cap off and rev the car does the coolant level rise as the revs get higher?

yes mate coolant levels rise as revs get higher

yeah hoses getting hard mate, do you mean undo the cap after its been running r u serious ?

Usually safe to release it, and it will depressurise itself but I would Definately reccomend a towel wrapped up to cover anything it may chuck out.

If there getting hard I'd expect it may want to gush out water. In which case you maybe looking at a headgasket failure or similar

by overheating...

is this a accurate gauge reading? or the stock temp gauge you are going by???

also did it cool down when u stopped driving spiritedly??

yeah cooled down when stationary jay and no I have aftermarket water temp gauge as well