Potential Starlet Owner - Needs Advice!

Hi guys,

I really want to get a starlet for my next car, I have my eyes on the ep91 glaza v. I currently own a Civic EP2 which looks beautiful.. Its just slow as shit!

I'm 20 years old 2 years driving and 2 years NCB I live in Oxfordshire so postcode isnt that bad but still cant get insurance for under 2.2k and thats stock!! I'm currently fully comp business class (Avivia) with my EP2 and im paying just under 1k

Is the ep91 a good model or is there a 'better' one? i have seen GT Turbos also but i try to insure one on the number plate and its something completely different haha guessing its because its an import...

So ultimately do i wait till 21 with 3 years ncb (11 months away :/ ) or can it be done for 1500 or under? want to be as 'legal' as possible with car model but not worried about declaring some mods as i haven't on my EP2 and had no problems when I get pulled over...

and... is there a better model starlet ? cheaper ect ?

Thanks

Dylan :)

Edited by YidoDylan

im with adrian flux... by far the best quote i had.

22 4ync £680 as a Glanza all mods declared. That was on my old V with blitz ecu, mani, exhaust, wheel, decat, filter, varis kit, suspension, brakes EVERYTHING on the insurance.

Whatever you do dont insure it as a 1.3 N/A starlet (sportif or CD etc)... If you have an accident or someone claims on you or a copper is clued up. Your insurance is void. Doing this then puts all of our insurance up because more and more bellends that cant drive or treat their car like a smoke machine and crash.

Rant over, Matt :)

ps. Welcome to UKSO :)

So do I wait guys? I have requested a call back for a quote with Sky..

If you cant afford to insure is as a Glanza V or a GT Turbo then yes, wait.

Its very likely that your best quote will be with either Sky, Adrian Flux or Green Light.

These companys deal with lots of imported vehicles and can offer good prices when it comes too it.

You have to remember that the best cover may not always be the cheapest cover. At the end of the day its your pride and joy or it is with a lot of members on here.

Welcome to ukso!

Even tho your complaining about your civic being slow, u coukd get an n/a starlet. They are nippy and it would give you a taste of starlet ownership. They can be picked up wicked cheap for a good example and gone for the same price. That leaves u with the dollar to start to save for a v or get somthin else in casw you dont like the car. (Impossible as they rock :-D)

Welcome along :)

Where abouts in Oxfordshire you from? I'm in Abingdon, you can always come round and take a peak at my project (thats in bits lol)

When I had my old GT insured I think it was around the £1000 mark with admiral, that was when I was 20, 2 years NCB.

Before my glanza I had a fiesta ST which was 1200 a year, I'm 28 with 0 year no claim bonus.

My glanza insurance is 1600 so be prepared for a big insurance quote.

Try diamond there cheap

Wow! Thats a killer.

I didnt even pay that when i had just passed. £1400 age 17 with 0ync

I now pay £680 on the Glanza all declared.

Welcome to UKSO mate.

For some strange reason GTs are about half the price to insure than a Glanza (for me anyway), even though its basically the same car :)

Try a few quotes on gocompare, usually admiral & elephant are the cheapest. If you put in the reg and it comes up as a Corolla then change it to a GT :)

My insurance was 1100 - 1200 (cant remember exactly) 19 years old, 0ncb, low risk postcode, with mods on, i was main driver & parents as named. Just a few months ago by the way.

Great! thanks for all the input guys will look on compare sites now.. And Adam mate I live in Witney but I'm always in Abingdon aha do you ever go FA? Or anything like that? I'd love to see your project though! I'm usually in Abingdon every other day :L

Right guys! Go compare surprised me a little just now, as I put in for a starlet GT turbo 1994 as an import but STOCK and my quotes were 1300ish 3PFF And 1500 Fully comp :)

you reckon sky might be cheaper? I'd rather fully tbh but I'm worried that as soon as I mention mods they might run a mile or bump it up massively ! Haha what you guys reckon?

Edit: the top 3 both times were admiral, elephant and diamond :)

Great! thanks for all the input guys will look on compare sites now.. And Adam mate I live in Witney but I'm always in Abingdon aha do you ever go FA? Or anything like that? I'd love to see your project though! I'm usually in Abingdon every other day :L

FA? You lost me mate haha. I live just off Preston Road mate, am sure you can see my car from there :p

Preston road? Yeah I been down there a few times got a few mates that live down there, and ill take a look as I'm stopping off in Abingdon tonight actually :) and sky haven't been in touch yet so I might call them tomorrow afternoon. I think 1300 is not bad atall tbh! As modification goes I heard they are so easy to do! Talking to a guy about one and he said you can run them like 250bhp before you need to forge the engine :L

It's bank holiday mate lol, they'll prob get in touch tomorrow.

Mods are easy fairly easy to do, but depends what your doing. Take that as gospel haha, each engine is different, I lost pistons at stock boost, and I've heard of a few other people doing it as well.

I found that insuring a GT was exactly half of the cost of insuring a Glanza?! but yeah, im 19, 0 years no claims as i had a ding in my first car, few mods declared like wheels, exhaust, intercooler, I pay 1000 with Admiral which isn't too shabby