5w 40s ok?

Well, if the engine is not forged with low tolerance the tolerances are bigger than in todays new engines, so as far as I know a thicker oil is better for this old engines. Mine runs on 10W40 summer and winter. That's what was in the engine for 16 Years now (well, changed obviously bur always 10W40) and I won't change thickness now.

I've put some 10w 40s in today for what it was worth and changed the filter. The noise is still there. If I take the car for a short drive the noise goes until it idles for around a minute or so. When I changed the oil I noticed the front crank seal is leaking quite badly so I'm think oil is getting onto the belt and making the noise. It's defiantly timing belt side of the engine I'm just hoping it isn't internal.

Thanks everyone for replying

I checked the ICV today, it does make a little bit of noise but it's nothing compared to the other noise.

The noise I'm getting sounds like a tappet but it sounds like it coming from the bottom at the timing belt side. Wonder if it could be the oil pump?

I'll get a video up tomorrow when it does it.

• 3 weeks later...