Replacing Original Head Unit

I'm surprised I can't find a DIY guide on this or a Wiki entry as 1st timer peeps always have trouble with it. I am wanting to replace mine but reading numerous threads it all seems a bit daunting with many pitfalls. If someone could knock up a post with piccies it would be great.

Otherwise I may have to give Halfords £29!!

LOL, unscrew dash plastic centre console crap with like 4 screws. pull stereo out. put new stereo in

and don't forget one of of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-17-4-Toyota-Starlet-Supra-ISO-Stereo-Head-Unit-Harness-Adaptor-Wiring-Lead-/150672056458?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item2314c1208a

probably do-able in under 5 minutes.

Edited by Billy SR

If your replacing it with a aftermarket headin it and your car has original plugs then search on ebay for a toyota radio plug and make sure it has same plugs as in your car and then any aftermarket radio shoul plug straight in they are some wiring diagrams about but depends on model of your car

Two screws above heater controls. Then the center surround just pulls off. Unplug demister, hazard etc

4 screws holding radio cage in place.

Check your wiring fits and test new radio. (You may have disconnected the battery so reconnect or skip this if so)

Unscrew old radio from cage, screw new radio in.

Reverse the process of removal

If your replacing it with a aftermarket headin it and your car has original plugs then search on ebay for a toyota radio plug and make sure it has same plugs as in your car and then any aftermarket radio shoul plug straight in they are some wiring diagrams about but depends on model of your car

When you say plugs chap you mean the same adapter that Billy linked to on Ebay?

• 3 weeks later...