Anyone running thermostat sandwich plate?

As above, I'm looking at a mocal item. I have a sandwich plate for sensors which is tight.

Just wanna know if a mocal thermostatic plate will fit without getting rid of PAS?

Thanks

Amjad

You'll still need to grind a bit of the pas pump bracket to fit it.

But more to the point it doesn't work well, the plate still allows a small amount of oil to flow at all times and over-cools the oil due to this. I had the cooler fully taped over and the oil still wouldn't get up to temperature without a bit of boost to help.

Oh I didn't realise that was the case! I was under the assumption that they begin to open at 70c?

I've seen the in line mocal ones too, but it doesn't state that they stay shut until 80c, so I'm not really sure what to do!

Inline thermostat is the way to go, unfortunately I didn't know that when I bought mine!

I think the inline must still flow a small amount at all times so you don't get a big pressure drop when it does open the first time, or get a load of cold oil into the engine but it seems to work better. I think you can get higher rated thermostats too, standard is 80c which I have.

Also don't get a huge cooler core, 10 row would easily be sufficient on our cars with the small amount of oil they have.

Inline thermostat is the way to go, unfortunately I didn't know that when I bought mine!

I think the inline must still flow a small amount at all times so you don't get a big pressure drop when it does open the first time, or get a load of cold oil into the engine but it seems to work better. I think you can get higher rated thermostats too, standard is 80c which I have.

Also don't get a huge cooler core, 10 row would easily be sufficient on our cars with the small amount of oil they have.

Hmm I'll see what's about, I think the inline ones I'm seeing are gonna be more hassle with fittings but we'll see what happens!

My mocal plate works just fine.

Comes to temp in just 5-8klm daily commute.

I have a celica gt4 cooler.

Is that with 4efte? If so is there enough room for a thermo plate if I already have a plate for sensors that fits ok?

• 2 months later...