Rods... lets take a closer look...

Hey, i have done a fair bit of research and have taken a comparison photo of all the different OEM rods that are available for the 4e/5e engines along with some comparison photos of 2 other toyota engines, being the 4agze(import levin) and the 2zzge (new celica).

Your comments are more than welcome and any questions you may have. It was a bit of effort getting all the rods in the one place... so i hope you dont mind me branding the photos.

Also, a very big thankyou to boostedep91 for letting me use some of the rods. You have an awesome car and your a great bloke. Thanks heaps!

Conrod-Comparison-front-fac.jpg

Conrod-Comparison-side-face.jpg

As for what it tells you, everyone has to make your own decision. My observations are as follows:

-If you are building the 5e engine, and you are going to invest into some good forged pistons, i would use the 4AGZE rods. It is possible and it will be very strong. Also because the journal size is smaller, it means you can stroke the engine up to about 1560-1570cc. Oversize the piston by 40thou and you have one very good package. It is mucking about and i would leave it to someone good to build the engine as its a mix-n-match and stuffed up quite easily.

-the 4efe and 5efe rods are good if your going to run n/a performance. they are lighter considerably but dont provide great streangth at all. I would use these with caution when turbocharging.

-the 4efte rods are quite solid but like all the other rods, are quite rough. I would get them shotpened and the sidewalls polished to take out any imperfections.

-the 5efhe rods are actually thicker than the 4efte rods which was supprising at first. They are more solid but like all the other toyota rods (excluding the 2zzge rods) they are rough and not as nice i would have expected. Both the 4efte and 5efhe rods would handle some good power if you clean them up a bit.

I have many photos that are indepth and i will provide more indepth info in the future, but your looking at after the year. I will be doing more of these for everyone in the future, just be patient... and feedback is welcome :)

Regards,

Ivan

P.S. I copies the above from my post on austarletclub...

Just a wee question: What effect does the polishing of the sidewalls have? Shotpening strengthens them yes? Does polishing them just allow the oil to run off easier or something?

(A question to pose to the toyota encyclopedia tonight over a drink me thinks :))

Shotpening is a process of shooting small metal balls at the rods, where it stresses the metal in a way that it strengthens it. Thats all i know about it, but it basically makes it stronger.

Also the polishing of the sidewalls removes any imperfections before you shotpene them. Because the rods are made from a cast, these imperfections can lead to weak points.

As for the compatibility between the GZE and 5e rods, they are not compatible, but can be made compatible with custom made pistons (where the gudgeon pin sits higher) and the grinding of the crank as the journal size is smaller. But then your stroke would be increased, and you would have some tuff rods.

Regards,

Ivan

the grinding of the crank as the journal size is smaller. But then your stroke would be increased,

Regards,

Ivan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

incorrect, stroke will not be incresed by grinding the crank smaller,

stroke will only be incresed by offset grinding the crank which you cant do on the starlet cranks as the pistons will hit the head even with custom made pistons,

moving the gudgon pin higher will also cause problems with the rod hitting the side of the bores, it is not as simple and grinding the crank smaller and getting pistons custom made

Dale