Error Code 12

Getting error code 12 on the diagnostic which points to the ECU / starter / distributor circuit.

Not touched any of the above while I did the water pump, only to take the alternator on and off. Checked the connectors for that, bone dry and no splits in the wiring.

Car idles rough at around 300/400 missing like a mother fecker and blip of the throttle, lift off and it dies. Starts right back up again but miss and rough idle is there. When cold it did start up and idle as normal for about 40 seconds then started to miss and idle rough.

I've checked the dizzy cap, leads, plugs and all the connectors and everything seems well.

Any ideas where to check next next?

mine done this the other day turned out the battery lost its charge put a battery pack on for 5 mins try again :)

The battery I've checked is fine, voltage is normal so I can rule that out.

Edited by davehart

voltage may well be fine, doesnt mean the amperage or batterys state of health is good. A multimeter to check battery voltage will prove nothing about your batterys health, you can get 12 + volts in a wire, doesnt mean its holding the charge like a battery.

voltage may well be fine, doesnt mean the amperage or batterys state of health is good. A multimeter to check battery voltage will prove nothing about your batterys health, you can get 12 + volts in a wire, doesnt mean its holding the charge like a battery.

hes right my battery is less than a year old and it still lost enough charge to throw up code 12 jumper pack and its been good as gold since :)