Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and live in the Guildford area.

I recently got given a little 1998 Sr from a friend who's moved up to London.

It has pretty low mileage and I'm in need of a little run about.

As you can see from the pictures it has had a shunt from behind, the insurance paid him out and its a cat C.

Considering it hasn't cost me anything I don't want to see it go to the scrap yard i'm looking at seeing if its worth putting it through a VIC test and sourcing replacement bumper and boot lid.

Please if you have any advice as to how a VIC test works or if any one has any bits for sale please pm me or email danwestwood@live.co.uk

2014-03-18084934_zpsf41a9ef3.jpg2014-03-18084959_zps6af20ea9.jpg

Welcome

Have you had a peek underneath to make sure the smash hasn't creased the chassis too badly if at all?

I'm sure you would be able to find a replacement bootlid & bumper on here, always bits popping up!

Edited by Jamie5414

I'd say you might need to pull the rear end out a bit. I had to do it to mine after my Bro rolled his volvo into it. Ended drilling a hole in the rear panel putting a bar behind it and bolting a cable to it then winched it out until it was back where it should have been! Lol

Good luck with it should be a great little project!

Haven't had it in the air yet so unsure on wether the chassis has creased or not... but i my friend said he doesn't think the boot will shut if its opened.

i have a bit of cash to put into it but dont want a money pit on my hands.

I will be getting the car on a ramp on friday and will know the extent then hopefully...

I did read that a VIC test is around £40 - £50 ?

Welcome mate!,

I'd say as above check structual damage, price things up, before you commit. Parts are cheap enough to come by either on here or on eBay :)!

Vic checks cost around £40, which I had paid for mine to be done. For how it's done. I pull up at the Vic test, went a toilet, bought a cup of tea out of a vending machine, by the time the drink was ready like 5 secs, the test was done! :)

They just literally check chassis numbers and that make sure you haven't got two cars as one lol :)

Welcome mate!,

I'd say as above check structual damage, price things up, before you commit. Parts are cheap enough to come by either on here or on eBay :)!

Vic checks cost around £40, which I had paid for mine to be done. For how it's done. I pull up at the Vic test, went a toilet, bought a cup of tea out of a vending machine, by the time the drink was ready like 5 secs, the test was done! :)

They just literally check chassis numbers and that make sure you haven't got two cars as one lol :)

Thanks all the advice everyone.

As mentioned ill be getting under it on friday to make a final decision.

Sorry but just to clarify i need to get an MOT before the VIC test?

Ill get posting in the wanted section, but as mentioned above please feel free to message me with any parts you might have.

Cheers

Thanks all the advice everyone.

As mentioned ill be getting under it on friday to make a final decision.

Sorry but just to clarify i need to get an MOT before the VIC test?

Ill get posting in the wanted section, but as mentioned above please feel free to message me with any parts you might have.

Cheers

If it had an existing MOT before the smash, it'll still exist untill it's expiration.

If it no longer has an MOT, it'll need one to get to the test center.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-vehicle-identity-check-vic

So i finally got some pictures today a bit closer of the damage but i was unable to release the boot to get better photos.

IMG_2879_zps4a42d067.jpg

IMG_2873_zpsc00911da.jpg

IMG_2876_zps22e2432b.jpg

Long and short is that id love to have this as a fun little run around, But a local garage wanted £1500 - £2000 to chop out the damaged wheel well and replace with toyota bits....

As mentioned i dont really want to have this go to the scrap yard, so would really appriciate any feed back..

I have time and money to put in to it but dont want it turning into a pit.

Cheers

Dan.

The panels are just spot welded in. You could have a go at replacing them yourself?

If it's not cost you a lot what have you got to loose?

One of the breakers about to scrap a shell should be willing to cut out the panels you need then you just have to work them i'm place and blob some weld in. (Maybe not that simple but that's the jist of it)

Fuck it off mate. You can pick a mint SR up for less than what you've been quoted to fix that one!

lol .... fair play.

But considering its costing me nothing and and the nostalgia i would like to give it a chance. The insurance is so low and its a good runner to.

any body known similar to be repaired?

as mentioned i am willing to spend a couple hundred to spend on a repair and have access trailer to get it around.

did feel a bit gutted today as i couldn't get good enough purchase on the spare wheel to remove the speedline spare.

as before any advice welcome.

Cheers

Dan.

I bought my car with cat D write off damage to the rear quarter (starlet SR lol) but the cars got mad potential and I had ideas of getting it sorted "cheap" and getting it back on the road......but.

Major panel work and cutting out and re-using bits can cause major warping issues so I sourced a complete panel from Toyota, next cost was the damage to the inner skin of the car if you like and then fitting/colour matching. Long story short, it's costing a grand to sort out but I'll take that lol

I'm not saying it will cost a fortune and morgeys rite, you've got nothing to lose......but it does look like it's got pretty bummed! :)

You are right its a bit of a bump.

I did notice the spot welds as mentioned above, and that is the damaged section. car is straight with no sign of warping or chassis creasing.

Thinking i'm going to have a go at hunting around for a confident welder and then source some bits..

Failing that i guess it will have to go.