Not seen any build threads but there is a couple of them out there. Or at least 3sgte ones.

Gearbox would have to be that of a celica (S series I believe). Unless you were to get a conversion plate made up to suit a C series box. The Mr2 box might have the selectors on the wrong side of the box.

Edited by morgey

Cheers, I;ve been offered a 3Sgte motor complete with loomm ecu etc etc for £500 from a scrap yard for the Rallycross car, So wondering if there were any build threads to show what parts I need. or at least any pictures on the net?

Yeah any 2L non gt four celica should do for the gearbox. Ishaq has put a 3sge in his ae101 corolla and that used to be a 4efte before hand so might be able to shed some light but the person you really want to speak to is Dan3sgte. He did the conversion in an ep82.

He's over on tgtt but not sure how active he is these days

Edited by morgey

Looks like he had someone else build it for him, so not sure how much help he would be?

Also he had custom shafts made, which aint good for a rallycross car, (I need somthing I can get off the shelf) the engine and box had been mounted far over to the left of the car, which also means the wheel and tyre will catch on the gearbox.
The custom shafts have been made to allow for the engine and box to be mounted over to the left - so the right hand chassis leg doesnt need to be cut, but i'm not sure wether its also because the Celica inner CV's dont fit the starlet shafts?

Edited by Rob Scott

From the sounds of it you might be better with a 4age swap. You can mount that so you can use starlet shafts (4efte) my 4efte ones were loose?.

You Will still have to cut the drivers side chassis rail. But if you remove the power steering (change for electric?) and made a lower bracket to house the alternator you could minimise that cut.

You could also opt to make a 7age, use a 1.8 7afe bottom end but a 4age (16v or 20v head and pistons) and a porsche 944 cam belt iirc and you have a good torquey motor with a fair bit of power also.

I've done a 4age swap but opted to mount it more central so I did a bit of custom work to my hubs and had a shaft made also.

Edited by morgey

I dont mind cutting out the chassis leg, if i'm doing that, i mgiht aswell go 3SGTE and have over 200bhp to keep up with the rest.
The car doesnt have power steering, PS is for fags ;)

at £500 for a Celica GT4 motor thats quick straight out of the box, i recon its a better bargain than going 7age, It would cost me that just for the ECU to run it. If i go 7AGE i'd be in the up to 2.0L class, so would be in the same position i am now, but the class above. (at the moment i'm at around 80/90hp, verses around 150hp + in the 1600 class, even the 1600cc stock hatch cars have 130hp +)

I was thinking totally standard GT4 motor, with loom ECU £500 etc, NA box £150, hopefully if I can use Celica inner CV's on the Paseo shafts. cheap as chips.

Edited by Rob Scott

at the moment Ive got a stock 5E, head skimmied to the max,
Corolla inlet, and 50mm TB to go on,
A big help will be an LSD, I just put a deposit on a Cusco LSD box, so will have that end of next week,
I'm going to chop the boot floor/spare wheel well out, and replace with ally sheet, and also junk the fuel tank, and move the battery from the front, to inside passenger side of the car.