Best brake upgrade from standard?

A badly designed brake upgrade will often create more pedal travel, usually as a result of an increase in caliper piston area. We use a caliper with the pretty much same amount of piston area as the OEM caliper, but get extra torque through elimitating the OEM-caliper induced frictional losses (from caliper sliders and tight pad clips etc) with a 4-pot type caliper on larger discs.

This should give you more brake power with a similar or better than standard pedal travel (softness), but pedal feedback/"feel" is much better.

If you REALLY wanted a firm pedal we have calipers with smaller than OEM piston area too - we'd need to look carefully at the front / rear bias in that case though, and TBH there probably isn't any need as our normal piston area kits have all worked well to date.

A master cylinder stopper will help pedal travel as well, although it won't actually increase your brake power.

In 15" wheels you could look at our 275x22 or 277x25 kits, if there's room and you have a lot of power then the 25mm disc is a good choice as it's thicker and has that much increased cooling capacity and thermal mass.

i have had a set of ae101 twin pot brakes on my starlet and they were absolutley outstanding.

anything more than twins are a bit over kill in my eyes as normal road use they lock up soooo easy and you dont want that.

mine cost around £270 all in .

i recommend them all day long.performance never went at all,infact they just got better and better with heat

I'd be interested to get the piston sizes on the Levin twin pots (will have a look when I finally borrow a set to work with). That sounds like the piston area is too high for the Starlet - hard to be sure though.

Power is not defined by the NUMBER of pistons, it's the total effective piston area that counts, and big increases of area are a bad thing for front / rear bia and pedal feel/travel.