lug nut turns but not coming out

ok guys heres my prob. i had a look round the car and saw on the front passenger side wheel that one of the lug nuts were poking further out then the rest. so i tried tightening it but it just spins freely both ways and doesnt come out or go in. whats happened and what can i do?

They are a splined press fit into the hub flange. If you're lucky you might find that the stud has pushed out the back of the flange and that's why it's spinning and not tightening. Look at the back of the hub (wheel on is fine, I assume you can't get the wheel off?), and see if you can see the "head" of the back of the stud.

If it's poking out then use a punch/hammer to get it back in, then undo the nut, and replace the stud.

If the stud has stripped the splines and is spinning inside the hub flange then it's more of a pain!!! You'll really need to replace the hub, and the main thing is probably to not damage the wheel.

I'd be tempted to get someone to tack weld the back of the stud to the hub and take the nut off, rather than fking about drilling/grinding out the nut and damaging the wheel.

Photos! :D