I'm confused as the company it's getting checked by asked me what it should be and when I said 10 he then said that would be for the standard glanza not with all the mods?

I'm confused as the company it's getting checked by asked me what it should be and when I said 10 he then said that would be for the standard glanza not with all the mods?

well mine is higher spec and I've timed mine at 10° advanced with no problems!

Update - had timing checked today... It was so far out they couldn't even see what it was set to! They set it to 10 BTDC which is what I thought it should be set at... Runs like a piece of shit. Have lost all power but seems like turbo may be working even harder as my turbo timer is quite higher everytime.

Someone said take knock sensor out just until I get it sorted... What would people suggest?

Is it safe to drive? Obviously japfest is next weekend and I don't know if I should even be driving my car that far :(

Would people say this is because of knock sensor / wiring?

Thanks guys

Kate x

Update - had timing checked today... It was so far out they couldn't even see what it was set to! They set it to 10 BTDC which is what I thought it should be set at... Runs like a piece of shit. Have lost all power but seems like turbo may be working even harder as my turbo timer is quite higher everytime.

Someone said take knock sensor out just until I get it sorted... What would people suggest?

Is it safe to drive? Obviously japfest is next weekend and I don't know if I should even be driving my car that far :(

Would people say this is because of knock sensor / wiring?

Thanks guys

Kate x

have you disconnected the battery so the ecu can reset if not do that for shaw and what do you mean your turbo timer is higher? Do you mean boost? Confused!

Yep reset it and EML light came straight on after 2.5k revs. Still coming up with knock sensor.

Well when I turn car off and turbo timer counts down it's normally from 50 seconds (depending on how I drive) but just drove it home (didn't go in boost that much) and it was like 2 mins so it's like the turbo may be working harder? Does that make sense?

Do you think it's in safe mode?

The 10 degrees is base timing. It should be set with the piece of wire attached in the diagnostic socket. (Same two pins that you use to check fault codes) with this wire attached it locks the ignition timing allowing you to set the base timing.

But as many people above have said get the knock sensor sorted. Excessive heat in these engines kills them, quickly.

My engine temp gauge is staying in the middle though? so engine temp seems ok?

I will order knock sensor today.

I am not sure how they set the timing. I left it with a garage and they set it.

It may be worth telling the garage how to do it just incase. It's not just a case of slapping a timing light on and setting it up. The ecu constantly changes the ignition timing hence it being "all over the place". With it locked (piece of wire across diagnostic pins) it fixes the ignition timing to a single point. The coolant temp will probably not move much due to having a good cooling system. It's the combustion process that gets too hot. Ignition timing and fuelling play two key roles in preventing excessive heat in the combustion process.

hey guys ive seen the site that shows how to adjust the timing but theres a few questions. when you connect those 2 terminals do you start the car? second question do you use the light gun from the top or bottom of the car? third do you connect the timing gun to only cylinder 1. ?

Someone just went to fit my new sensor and check wiring... There was no sensor and no wiring, it had all been cut into!!

Am hoping once this is sorted the car will be running better :) x

No knock sensor Kate? That's crap!

And yea start the car with the piece of wire across the two terminals. You use the timing light from the top. It's an idea to use tipexx or some form of white paint marker to mark the notch on the bottom pulley and on the timing casing. It will be easier to see where the timing is set to. If you have any doubts take it to a garage and get them to do it.

I know... Crazy aye. Seriously don't know what the previous owner was thinking.

The car was at a garage today and they eventually found all wires hidden and taped up!! Literally I want to shoot the previous owner that did all this... Fucking idiots!

It's all sorted now... EML is off :) I will be going to japfest yay!!