anyone running methanol mix?

my old man runs tbis on his evo however has switchable maps to do so ....i know you can go the meth injection way or you can mix with your fuel which saves the cost of buyin an injection kit but has anyone ever ran one on a starlet? as its a good way of making more power without having to up the boost ....let me know

If anything it's worth it just as a safety feature.. If injected before the turbo it speeds up spool times, if you use the correct nozzles and mixture the car will react to mapping as if it's running on 110+ octane race fuel

If anything it's worth it just as a safety feature.. If injected before the turbo it speeds up spool times, if you use the correct nozzles and mixture the car will react to mapping as if it's running on 110+ octane race fuel

Not quite true, you increase the efficiency of the compressor but it doesn't make it spool faster.

If your going to mix it in with your petrol it's best to measure it out by weight rather than volume because the volume of a substance changes with temperature.

Would be better and less hassle to run a injection kit imo, you can run more than one nozzle as well, one before the turbo compressor increasing the compressors efficiency and one after the intercooler which effectively increases the efficiency of the cooler giving you more dense air.

Whichever way you want to go though it will require a remap to get the most out of it as the mass of air will be greater because its more dense and more air requires more fuel.

Actually i ran it on one of my old cars and had it set to spray at 1psi. It caused the turbo to spool straight to 2 bar in a quarter of the time than when it was off. It is because your increasing the air density both going through the compressor and going through the turbo.

Yes a remap will help as in you can make more power as you can run more boost and/or more timing but you wont need more fuel if you just add the kit and dont map as long as your running methanol in the mix and not just water.

Actually i ran it on one of my old cars and had it set to spray at 1psi. It caused the turbo to spool straight to 2 bar in a quarter of the time than when it was off. It is because your increasing the air density both going through the compressor and going through the turbo.

Yes a remap will help as in you can make more power as you can run more boost and/or more timing but you wont need more fuel if you just add the kit and dont map as long as your running methanol in the mix and not just water.

Did you ever log a boost plot vs rpm or time? I find it hard to believe that it would spool to 2 bar in a quarter of the time. Air density at 20 degrees is 1.204 kg/m3, if you knocked off 10 degrees of air temp that would take the density of air to 1.247 kg/m3, it's hardly like the substance of treacle to notice that much of an improvement.

Of course you will need more fuel! If your decreasing the air temperature there is going to be more oxygen present ie greater air density, more oxygen requires more fuel or it will run lean.

Methanol is fuel.

Maybe not literally a quarter of the time but Jesus it spooled much faster than before I added water/meth.

You may be able to do the math but have you ever ran water/meth yourself?

I know Methanol is a fuel and yes I have used a water injection kit previously on another engine and it made very little performance gains at all without a map and was more hassle than it was worth because the jet kept clogging up with shit even when using distilled water. I never used Meth so can't really comment on that side of things, I can't see it making a massive difference in spool time though without logging it but I don't think any decrease in spool would be through the change in air temp, and it will also depend on the Meth % mixture.

That's a diesel engine which run very small turbo's because they have a short powerband, comparing apple's and oranges mate.

I know Methanol is a fuel and yes I have used a water injection kit previously on another engine and it made very little performance gains at all without a map and was more hassle than it was worth because the jet kept clogging up with shit even when using distilled water. I never used Meth so can't really comment on that side of things, I can't see it making a massive difference in spool time though without logging it but I don't think any decrease in spool would be through the change in air temp, and it will also depend on the Meth % mixture.

That's a diesel engine which run very small turbo's because they have a short powerband, comparing apple's and oranges mate.

its very strange that your jet kept clogging

maybe your lines/tank/pump/kit needed cleaning out...was it a new kit when you installed it?

i know the usual period maintenance is needed with any system, but the meth/water injection kits i've seen people use seem to run very well (once tuned for) and no excessive clogging issues---aquamist and aem, i can't comment on other kits

its very strange that your jet kept clogging

maybe your lines/tank/pump/kit needed cleaning out...was it a new kit when you installed it?

i know the usual period maintenance is needed with any system, but the meth/water injection kits i've seen people use seem to run very well (once tuned for) and no excessive clogging issues---aquamist and aem, i can't comment on other kits

It was purchased as a new kit mate, it wasn't a branded one that just used a brass jet, not sure if that was the possible cause for the clogging or not. It might just have been due to the water I was running, even though distilled could still have been quite hard and chalky.

Depends how hard the water is in your area, where I am I have some of the hardest water in the country Im led to believe. The jet size was also quite small so probably a mixture of a few different things, but like I said this wasn't a branded kit so I would say those from the likes of Aquamist/AEM to be of much better quality.