Proactive or Reactive Replacement of Parts?

What do you think is best lads? I don't do my own repairs, and if you go to some garages they wonder why you want this or that replaced when it's not yet broken or totally worn out. But I prefer not to wait to something breaks (and car breaks down with it...).

What do you think might need replacing at certain mileages? My EP91 has gone over 80k now, so was thinking it might be due new wheel bearings and a new clutch (sometimes I can't get it into reverse without several attempts). What about the radiator, is that something with a set lifespan?

Anything else that might need to be replaced now? Other than consumables / general maintenance items like belts and brakes it's had only new suspension so far, and tbh it's starting to feel a bit tired compared to three years ago when I bought it. I want to keep it tight and tidy for another 3+ years if possible.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Most parts generally dont just break you tend to get a bit of a warning.

I tend to leave stuff until that point but when one side goes I do both as the other probably isn't far behind

At that milage id be looking at ball joints, track rods, wishbone bushes as they will be getting old and tired and will all effect steering feel. Not sure on P/S pump or fluid though?

Radiator and heater matrix should be ok if its had proper coolant in it. maybe just a good system flush and a fluid change. If its had just water then stuff could be corroding and shortened its lifespan

Id like to think belts should have been done along with the cambelt and waterpump at around 60k? So should be ok, do they look dry or cracked?

Edited by morgey

ball joints/bearings/rod ends, bushes if they are perished/split (you will be able to notice this easily)

i'd change the usual, oil filter, oil, air filter, flush radiator and put new fluid in, replace gearbox oil also that may help with the reverse issue

cambelt and water pump could be done also (may aswell get water pump done with cambelt, if cambelt looks worn) *check when last cambelt was done, usually written on cambelt cover or in service book

*edit

Edited by Jamie5414

Cheers chaps... The cambelt was done @ 50k by when I bought the car. Other than that I think just oil and filters have been done when servicing. I'll get the things you mentioned priced up and changed though. Sounds like it might be cheaper than what I thought if I had the bearings and clutch replaced.

Trouble is from what reviews i've read the Starlet clutch was mentioned as being able to be slipped even when new, so it's hard to know if it's degraded much. IDWorkz have a new ones on offer for £70 ish, so it's cheaper than a lot of other parts to replace to be on the safe side.