hello every one, i wonder if you can help, and this only happends sometimes lol as i boost up the engine seems to hesitate and sends really loud cracks through my exhaust this happends at around 0.5 bar, and it just seems to jolt repetitivly untill i take my foot off, and when it runs fine... in 5th gear it hits 1.0 bar and the engine light comes on? decat? relocated air filter? trd leads???

i would appreciate help very much

thanx people!! :lol:

you will be hitting fuel cut, due to boost creep i would think.....either tape up your airfilter, or go back to the standard airbox, or you could get the wastegate ported...

In other words, the airfilter is letting in so much air, it cant come out the other side of the system (wastegate)

Rob

hey what does portin the wastgate involve, :lol: ??

Do it diy stylee with a dremel and a sanding bit.

whip the turbo off, open the wastegate flap and attack the round hole under the flap :)

Best to leave it to a pro if youre not too sure, as you want it quite even and smooth.

If you do attempt it youre self, make sure theres no metal filings inside the turbo so give it a good blast out with some air.

Either that or send it away to have it ported pro, wont cost you much, phone around all the turbo places like turbo technics, turbo dynamics etc.

Or just limit the amount of air its getting for a temporary job, ie wrap the air filter a little bit, not totally.. then take it for a drive and see if its any better,then wrap a bit more untill its near enough gone.

That'll stop it for the time being bud.

if you put the standard cat back on you wont hit fual cut, i recomend you do this until you have sorted out the fualing

boring the waistgate in my book is a waist of time considering it takes a good four hours to get the turbo off takin my time, only worth doing if your compitent wi tools

if you put the standard cat back on you wont hit fual cut, i recomend you do this until you have sorted out the fualing

boring the waistgate in my book is a waist of time considering it takes a good four hours to get the turbo off takin my time, only worth doing if your compitent wi tools

Yeah i agree, its alot to take on if youre not confident you know how it all goes back together.

Plus you'd want to get some new gaskets for when you refit the turbo and downpipe, so it may work out better just to do what Enzo said, and put youre cat back on..

Would be worthwhile if you take the turbo off in the future whilst doing other bits to it, like if youre considering changing the manifold, do it all in one go.

Yea thank you very much, i bought the car as it is so i must source new bits regarding the cat air box etc. :)

but i will keep searching, does any one know how to resize pictures as i have tryed putting some on but having no luck! thanx all!! :lol:

sory ithougt you had done it yourself

another solution so your problem instead of regressing to standard set up is to fit a hks actuater, they are the first form of of boost control within a turbo system

the standard ct9 actuater is known as a week point,

fitting a hks actuater should regualte the boost better that way your progressing.

turn it down to about 11 psi and that should also solve your problem

hey are £75 from toytuning on here, give toby a phone

you will need a pin type :lol:

on resizing photos, your best off using a site like photo bucket, or flick r, upload your pictures to there then link them using %7Boption%7D tags to here

if you have any more quesstions just ask

sory ithougt you had done it yourself

another solution so your problem instead of regressing to standard set up is to fit a hks actuater, they are the first form of of boost control within a turbo system

the standard ct9 actuater is known as a week point,

fitting a hks actuater should regualte the boost better that way your progressing.

turn it down to about 11 psi and that should also solve your problem

hey are £75 from toytuning on here, give toby a phone

you will need a pin type :lol:

Even with a HKS actuator, you will still hit fuel cut like mad. And I know from experience; mine was set at 10psi but when I relocated my air filter to behind my bumper nothing would stop me hitting fuel cut. I pretty much unwound my actuator to as long as it would go- still didn't stop it! Too much air coming in! Jay over at TGTT had a good idea though, just introduce some back pressure into your exhaust system. So where theres 2 sections joining, add a piece of metal with a smaller diameter hole than the bore of the exhaust; this will increase back pressure and should help limit boost creep, plus it only takes a few mins if you have the right stuff.

Failing that, try wrapping 1/4 of your air filter in tape (to limit the air intake). But I tried this and even with 3/4 of the filter wrapped it would still hit fuel cut 'because the filter was just getting ridiculous amounts of air being right behind the bumper!

! Jay over at TGTT had a good idea though, just introduce some back pressure into your exhaust system. So where theres 2 sections joining, add a piece of metal with a smaller diameter hole than the bore of the exhaust; this will increase back pressure and should help limit boost creep, plus it only takes a few mins if you have the right stuff.

what i was going to say :) ;)

normally called a restrictor ring, you can buy them for other cars, but know one seems to make on for a starlet...

what i would personally do is get a restrictor ring, and make it so it limits the boost to 0.8 bar for example, and then use a boost controller to raise the boost up to 0.9 bar, or 1.0 bar for example (depending on fueling, and current mods!)

sounds like you have 2 problems....

the 1 bar in 5th is fuel cut.

but at 0.5 bar you wont hit it it sounds like an ignition problem. most common problem at this time of year is wet plugs.

if you still have the top mount intercooler, take it off, and then run the car on idle for 15 mins until its nice and hot.

turn the car off, and pull the plug leads out. if you got steam, you have wet plugs and you need to dry them.

if not. then you got me. 0.5 bar should be running sweet.