Motorsport Engineering Course Universities

Bit off topic but I'm looking at the above to start next year and was wondering whether people have had experience with these courses and can recommend uni's to look at for this type of course.

Thanks

Brad

I went to the open day at Strathclyde Uni a few years ago and looked at doing the Mechanical / Automotive Engineering course. Looked awesome, build a bike powered race car in the last year and compete against folk. Although the grades needed to get in were pretty solid lol.

So patched that idea off and decided to be a Vehicle Tech instead haha.

I am currently half way through my BEng Motorsport Engineering degree.

If you're good at Maths and Physics you'll get a place without a problem and will comfortably manage the course IMO.

Most courses will ask for A Level Maths and Physics. If you don't have these then you'll most probably need to do a Foundation year in Engineering to reach the standard the Uni will want you at.

I'm currently doing motorsport design engineering at the university of west if Scotland, it's good but some of the physics is quite challenging but it's good learnt so much and I've only just gone into second year

I did a HND in Motorsport Engineering, then a BSc in Motorsport Technology in Swansea Metropolitan university.

As I did not have an A level in maths or Physics.

Hindsight a BEng is the way to go as it teaches you a lot of thermal and fluid dynamics which I didnt get in my courses.

I kind of disagree Yoshimitsu666 (I do see the plus points in getting a trade), but I graduated in June 2010 and started my first engineering job in August 2010, I have now progressed and work for Cummins (Holset) as an aerodynamics engineer. If you are willing to look and move the employment is there. However there are a lot of applicants for jobs out there these days.

Just don't think motorsport engineering qualifications are the only way into motorsport, majority of engineers in motorsport have general mechanical engineering degrees.

The only advantage of motorsport degrees is that you learn a lot more hands on in terms of chassis setup and race car dynamics.

The best way into motorsport is a good engineering qualification, and experience. If you want to work in a race team in later life get volunteering with smaller teams now, get the experience and exposure.

But try Swansea university (I have had friends who attended here and did BEng) or Swansea metropolitan (where I went and did HND, and BSc. They also offer a BEng).

Any questions give me a shout as I have been through the courses, and got a job at the end (same as Iddy).

Currently doing a degree in Motorsport engineering though Lancaster Uni but the course in ran local to me in blackpool.. I'm shit at maths but I just get on with it.. It is tough though

Will have a look on their website cheers for that mate

I did a HND in Motorsport Engineering, then a BSc in Motorsport Technology in Swansea Metropolitan university.

As I did not have an A level in maths or Physics.

Hindsight a BEng is the way to go as it teaches you a lot of thermal and fluid dynamics which I didnt get in my courses.

I kind of disagree Yoshimitsu666 (I do see the plus points in getting a trade), but I graduated in June 2010 and started my first engineering job in August 2010, I have now progressed and work for Cummins (Holset) as an aerodynamics engineer. If you are willing to look and move the employment is there. However there are a lot of applicants for jobs out there these days.

Just don't think motorsport engineering qualifications are the only way into motorsport, majority of engineers in motorsport have general mechanical engineering degrees.

The only advantage of motorsport degrees is that you learn a lot more hands on in terms of chassis setup and race car dynamics.

The best way into motorsport is a good engineering qualification, and experience. If you want to work in a race team in later life get volunteering with smaller teams now, get the experience and exposure.

But try Swansea university (I have had friends who attended here and did BEng) or Swansea metropolitan (where I went and did HND, and BSc. They also offer a BEng).

Any questions give me a shout as I have been through the courses, and got a job at the end (same as Iddy).

Thanks will definitely ask a few questions if I get stuck haha I did do a Mechanical and Engineering National Diploma course at college which I passed with a Merit don't have the A levels in maths and physics so this is where I think I would struggle a bit but I am willing to sit A levels if needs be if thats what it takes.

Always consider the career options when going to university.... That's why I sacked it in before even starting and took up a trade. Won't start a flame war here but think of every option. Money is king

Yeah true money is important but I think if the passion and determination is strong enough this will help at the end goal of obtaining a job thanks for the input though

Edited by Hunty

What is it you want to do as a job ? And are you pretty good on the tools ? Working on cars in your spare time, building starlets etc will help you along i think. A lot of the Mechanical / Automotive Engineers ive spoken to who design the cars i work on on a daily basis have never worked in a workshop and cant even work a ratchet lol. Its all good them sitting at a desk and having the knowledge but they look like a right tit when they cam barely undo a bolt haha.

Haha yeah I work on cars in my spare time ideally I would love to build circuit cars for time attack/saloon racing etc I was looking into the course from the point of view for chassis tuning and also the engine building I know how to build an engine as have had to redo the mine but want to learn to build one that would be competitive etc

Everyone I know who works in motorsport loves it but it comes with very long hours, and unless you're in a top team very little job security you're a contractor whose contract is renewed every year.

I want to work in F1 aerodynamics next but, I know a chap who left our place to do it and the working terms and conditions weren't great.

I love to tinker too and attend motorsport so best bet is get a cool engineering day job and leave your evenings and weekends free to volunteer at race teams or build your own toy :-)

I did Motorsport Technology at Oxford Brookes, its a cracking uni tbh because a lot of race teams, not just F1 based are located in and around Oxfordshire. The courses here are actually put together by those in the F1 industry hence why a lot of Brookes graduates end up in F1.

You do really need to ask the question in what you want to do though, engine building and chassis tuning like you mentioned you will not cover. The aim of uni is to allow you to design, so you need to be good with maths and physics, as well as having a good imagination when it comes to creating components from a blank piece of paper.

Do NOT go to uni with the intention of being able to tune and modify because that is completely wrong (at Brookes anyway I found). You come to be able to design something from nothing but an idea or 12 and select the least worst one to take forward.

I agree with Seab, if there's one thing I regret it's doing a so called "Motorsport" degree, I wish I would have done Mechanical as it is much more diverse.

Best advice I can offer is look at the university's syllabus and decide if it takes your fancy, if it does then go to an open day, check out the facilities, staff and other students. Everyone here gets on very well with each other we are like one big team and you have the chance to get involved with Formula Student right from the first year, I believe we have had the best UK team for the last few years and have set a number of records and our cars cost around £3500 to build so if you want to know how to build cheap unlike other uni's which have massive budgets then Brookes will be good :)

Edited by AdamB

I did Motorsport Technology at Oxford Brookes, its a cracking uni tbh because a lot of race teams, not just F1 based are located in and around Oxfordshire. The courses here are actually put together by those in the F1 industry hence why a lot of Brookes graduates end up in F1.

You do really need to ask the question in what you want to do though, engine building and chassis tuning like you mentioned you will not cover. The aim of uni is to allow you to design, so you need to be good with maths and physics, as well as having a good imagination when it comes to creating components from a blank piece of paper.

Do NOT go to uni with the intention of being able to tune and modify because that is completely wrong (at Brookes anyway I found). You come to be able to design something from nothing but an idea or 12 and select the least worst one to take forward.

I agree with Seab, if there's one thing I regret it's doing a so called "Motorsport" degree, I wish I would have done Mechanical as it is much more diverse.

Best advice I can offer is look at the university's syllabus and decide if it takes your fancy, if it does then go to an open day, check out the facilities, staff and other students. Everyone here gets on very well with each other we are like one big team and you have the chance to get involved with Formula Student right from the first year, I believe we have had the best UK team for the last few years and have set a number of records and our cars cost around £3500 to build so if you want to know how to build cheap unlike other uni's which have massive budgets then Brookes will be good :)

Think Adam has hit the nail on the head. Engineering courses teach you to meet targets from scratch, its not really about taking an engine and extracting more ponies from it. It is more about what is required to design that engine to meet those power/emissions/reliability targets.

I think from my HND a good course should have a good mix of lecture and hands on the workshop (being machine shop, or gettings hands on with race cars measuring geometry etc).

I forgot about formula student, thats a great way of getting involved in motorsport whilst being guided, wish I had done it.

I really want to do the race engine design MSc at Oxford Brookes :D

Try getting hold of students from your chosen uni who have graduated and gone onto good careers see how they did it. Alot of industry is who you know, as well as what you know.

The maths involved can be a real PITA, as like yourself I do not have an A level in maths and I have just started my MSc so I am struggling a little so I would ensure you work on that in the background to keep yourself ahead of the game.

Think Adam has hit the nail on the head. Engineering courses teach you to meet targets from scratch, its not really about taking an engine and extracting more ponies from it. It is more about what is required to design that engine to meet those power/emissions/reliability targets.

I think from my HND a good course should have a good mix of lecture and hands on the workshop (being machine shop, or gettings hands on with race cars measuring geometry etc).

I forgot about formula student, thats a great way of getting involved in motorsport whilst being guided, wish I had done it.

I really want to do the race engine design MSc at Oxford Brookes :D

Try getting hold of students from your chosen uni who have graduated and gone onto good careers see how they did it. Alot of industry is who you know, as well as what you know.

The maths involved can be a real PITA, as like yourself I do not have an A level in maths and I have just started my MSc so I am struggling a little so I would ensure you work on that in the background to keep yourself ahead of the game.

The MSc Engine design is good at Brookes, but if your gonna do it I would get in fast because at the moment there is a wealth of knowledge here to do with the design of racing engines.