Need some help to narrow down what has went wrong and what my options are. Bought the car 2 weeks ago it's a 98 V it was fine for a week with no thrashing etc, then all of a sudden it started spitting oil out of the Bov and then started smoking heavily from the exhaust. I parked it up and took it out during the week for five mins just to see if I could find out what it was.

Symptoms;

No smoke on start up gradually turning into slight smoke.

Smoking heavily under any throttle from exhaust and from engine bay.

Smoke seems to be blue then to turn into white smoke.

Spitting oil from Bov.

No or little smoke on overrun.

Oil residue in breather pipe.

When car warms up a bit you can hear a clonking noise from the engine if you listen closely.

Initially thought it was turbo seals because of oil in Bov but don't understand this because rest of the symptoms suspect engine failure, rings, seals, head gasket etc I'm not great mechanically lol!

Also what's my best option thinking of just dropping another engine straight in as I need the car for daily use.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)!

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this changed the turbo and same problem so done a compression test 175 equal across 1,2 and 3 however 4 was 45 which is really low? Could have melted a piston itself? Will be opened up tommorw if bore and all is fine will be rebuild but if not I can get a low milage replacement engine and sell mine for some money back to same person.

Bugger - sounds like #4 isn't happy, possibly a ring land? Take the cam cover off and double check the valves are doing what they should but its unlikely thats the issue. Taking the head off and then taking the piston out is your best bet. Might fluke it and just need one new piston.