Decking the block -

Hi folks I'm going to get my block cleaned up and ready for bolting it all back together.

Question is, should I have the block decked, or if it's flat just leave it as is?

The block surface seems to be flat bar the two waterways/oilways that protrude.

So when you get your block decked do you just cut that pipe work out? Does it pull out itself?

Phil

Are you on about the dowels in the corners? They are there to located the headgasket and head. They pull out and have nothing to do with any water/oil ways. When the block gets decked they will need to pull them out to run the mill over the surface.

Depends on the pistons, headgasket, cams, turbo and boost you plan on running (will determine your compression ratio) whether you get the deck blocked or not. If it needs doing then yeah obviously do it.

If it was me I would get the pistons as close to the head as possible, not even room for carbon :p

Edited by AdamB

these dowels where packed with dried up coolant on this spare engine i got, any ideas why that might happen?

compression ratio, i havent quite decided yet, either a 0.3 steel hg or a 1.2 athena hg with wiesco 10cc dished pistons.

Phil

Adam I only plan to run around 1.2/4 bar. Would you reccomend a high compression build for that sort of boost? I will be running some high lift cams too if that makes a difference.

I need to know before I go get my blocked skimmed as well.

You have whatsapp msg

Phil

Adam I only plan to run around 1.2/4 bar. Would you reccomend a high compression build for that sort of boost? I will be running some high lift cams too if that makes a difference.

I need to know before I go get my blocked skimmed as well.

Replied in your other thread mate or drop me a pm :)

these dowels where packed with dried up coolant on this spare engine i got, any ideas why that might happen?

compression ratio, i havent quite decided yet, either a 0.3 steel hg or a 1.2 athena hg with wiesco 10cc dished pistons.

Phil

Could potentially have had a headgasket leak? Colin may well be right but providing the head has been sealed properly I'm not so sure there would be any gunk/coolant residue around them.

A lot of it will depend on your compression ratio on what you do to the motor mate.