Cold high revving

Hi just a quick question,my ep82 turbo seems to run on high revs for quite a while when cold. Im a mechanic so know that normally engine coolant sensor would normally tell ecu when to reduce rpm and in all fairness it does drop down to around 800rpm but just seems to take quite a while compared to other cars ive had. Have only had the car a few months.Is this the norm or is it something i should look into?

on bit of a tangent guys but have wat looks like a solenoid or valve on the end of the inlet manifold(opposite end to the throttle) that seems to be clicking quite loudly,when i unplug it the clicking stops but nothing seems to happen to the engine!is this normal?

on bit of a tangent guys but have wat looks like a solenoid or valve on the end of the inlet manifold(opposite end to the throttle) that seems to be clicking quite loudly,when i unplug it the clicking stops but nothing seems to happen to the engine!is this normal?

Thats the idle control valve, they dont do an awful lot tbh.

• 4 months later...

Just to update and maybe help someone in the future with similar issue.

turned out to be the thermostat after!!

also tried a euro parts item and the sealing ring was not thick enough so kept leaking.so just check against the old unit if you get one.

Andrew