WRX TD04 + No BOV = Jammed turbo?

Hello UKSO!

Yesterday we got my Glanza running td04 and fired it up for the first time. Let it run for a while, whilst we checked for leaks and other issues and then we set off to monitor AFR readings as we gradually increased the MBC (not running management yet). I had a bright idea of not running a blow off valve lol as I just love the sound of the flutter/chatter BUT! Before we could get to the testing roads, I felt that I had lost boost and that there was no spool at all anymore. We then popped open the bonnet and were confused so we took the car back to the garage and I called it a day as I had other matters to attend to. I was driving casually and did 4-5k pulls a few times before it stopped boosting completely. MBC was set to LOWEST setting too.

My friend opened the turbo and said that the fins and shaft are not bent and intact but that the bearing was stuck??? He reassembled it together and told me that it is spinning again and we are yet to test it on the car!

Is it time to purchase a new turbo? Or can the same td04 that got jammed once still run fine? Really frustrated right now lol dont have funds for another turbo right now, gotta wait for the end of the year!

Thanks,

Wes

Edited by WesSunday
  • 6 months later...