New 5E engine not starting... *UPDATE*

Ok here's today's update.

4E dizzy installed
4E sump, pick up and pressure release valve fitted
Exhaust fits and is secured
Put oil in the filter (and release valve) before fitting it.
Cranked the engine, but I couldn't tell if the oil light came off because THE OIL LIGHT NEVER CAME ON ON IGNITION!!!

It was on Friday, but it never lit up today, (didn't turn ign on before doing the above...) check engine was off too, but turned on when I put the EFI fuse back in... No attempt to actually start it was made today. Will do tomorrow... if all goes well.

I will start it tomorrow. I didn't want to rush things in the last 5 minutes tonight. but what got me, confused, is that the oil light did not turn on when I switched the ignition. It did Friday, last time I tried...
I did lots of reading and I'm confident that my pressure issue is solved. And the fuel/spark as well with the 4E dizzy.

So tomorrow, refreshed, take another look at everything then fire it up.

Yeah it lives... kind of. Here's the formal update.

So the car started, I put some oil in yesterday evening, this morning it was on the L mark, so I poured some on the cams to help a moist start... Rocker cover on, start without coolant. all good. recheck under the cover, oil everywhere, WIN! :D
Pour coolant, put the rocker cover back on, start. D'oh! :sad: Oil everywhere around the timing cover and coolant leaking in 3 places... But as an idiot I put the rocker cover on without tightening it...

At lunch, following my post I fixed 2 of the coolant leaks, just a matter of tightening clamps, and cleaned the oil, checked for leaks, everything seemed fine so I started it again. No oil, the remaining clamp still leaking (the hose to the pump, need the lift the car to get to the clamp bolt over the starter.) and after a few seconds it started mifiring. Shut down, back to work.

Tonight, Finished filling the coolant, fitted the reservoir, replaced the dizzy cap/leads by the new one that was on the 5E dizzy, started. Fuel pissing out of the injectors!!! :blink: Might be the cause of the misfire and not the dizzy cap/leads...

That's where I'm at now. I need to sort out the fuel leak, and retighten the last clamp. The Paseo injectors are on, 8/12 of the seals where replaced on them, I reused seemingly good ones from the 4E to finish the job until my service kit shows up for my 326cc injectors. So tommorow if I can, I'll take the rail of and see if we have proper o-rings in stock, otherwise I need to wait I don't know how lon for the service kit. It was supposed to be here in December...

Q: if it's temporary, couple of weeks to couple of months at worst, can normal o-rings be used on injectors? I've never tried...

Edited by FMuscle

No. I got the clear cover on, and I can check quickly :D but no, oil was only residue from my dumbness of not tightening the cover properly before restarting it.
I'll get those o-rings replaced tomorrow, hopefully I have a free hoist to get to the clamp, It just didn't work on the ground...

Edited by FMuscle
  • 7 months later...