Do I make the Change?

Hi guys, new here,

Im really interested and also tempted in a Glanza 1.3 turbo,

I currently drive a modified Saxo VTS, but Im kinda fed up with the high insurance, expensive road tax and the rattles that every Saxo has.

I dont do alot of miles. Perhaps 6,000-7,000 a year max.

Im 19 with 1yrs ncb and a clean license,

and I can get insured on a standard Glanza for £890 fully comp I believe, where as my Saxo costs £1,040 with all mods declared tpft.

Can you throw me some advice and tips?

Whats a Glanza like for build quality? any "Saxo" rattles?

Are they worth chopping in a 2001/2002 Car and money for?

How much should I expect to pay for approx a P reg on 40-50k miles?

What are they like for town driving (a lot of stop start)

How easy is it to get 160bhp approx? or do you recommend buying one which is already modified?

What is the price of road tax for a Glanza 1.3 turbo?

Karl.

:unsure:

let me try and answer some of that for ya mate

build quality wise theyr very solid in construction but there are a few dash rattles and particularly the parcel shelf, but nothing to worry about. You should be looking to pay approx 3-4k for that sort of age car in good condition, or upto about 5 or 6k for the later spec 98/99 model. In town they are absolutely fine no problems with stop and starting. For 160bhp that would be just an upgraded ecu, plug-in or piggy back with supporting mods and tune no problem prob bout £1000 job done

They are great to drive around town etc mate untill you put a padel clutch in one!!! Then it gets pretty tricky at times!!!

Get one mate. . . Like ive said on newbie pose - have a look at www.wrc-sales.co.uk

In my oppinion - the glanza's are 100% better than a citroen!!

Stoney

Okay cool, ill take a look pal.

The one thing that puts me off Glanzas aswell is Ive heard many bad things about their awful handling?

Do you think its better If I wait for a modified one?

as Im guessing like most cars, mods dont increase the value of the car.

My Saxo is great fun to chuck into corners, but Im told a Glanza is more of a straight line car?

As standard supsension goes they are hilarious around corners but spend about £150ish on a rear anti-roll bar and anti lift kit should sort out some of the problems there, then there are the usual suspension mods (check out the budget supsension setup post in Technical).

Rich

going from a vts to a glanza is ok.

but you will have to spend a grand making it handle.

compared to what you are used to the glanza will corner like a channel boat.

lol. this is kinda off putting.

A member of my Saxo club now has a 180BHP Starlet, he claims that they are only reliable when modded correctly?

Do you know what he means by this?

Thing that draws me to the Glanza is that for £1000 you can make the engine quite the little monster.

where as £1000 will only buy me cams and a remap in my Saxo.

that means to avoid what some people do and just put on a fuel-cut defender a new actuator and up the boost, if your to take necessary precautions theyr perfectly reliable even over 200bhp

Oh I see,

didnt think anyone would be so silly?

So,

for example if I wanted to make my standard Glanza 160/170bhp,

please link me to the appropriate pieces of kit,

and tell me what id need to do?

well its never quite that simple mate, first of all you would want to at the very least uprate brakes (discs, pads, braided lines etc) then look at suspension some coilovers, or shocks n springs coupled with some strut braces.

then for the actual power increases, u would first want a good exhaust; HKS, Blitz, Fujitsubo, Kakimoto for example, u may like to use a FMIC if needed, altho TMIC will work upto 200bhp but can be inefficient.

That is the breathing sorted then u can simply put on a pre-mapped ecu such as Mines, Blitz, SARD or JAM and you should be good to go, or alternatively a HKS F-Con, GReddy Emanage (Blue/Ultimate) or Apexi FC to take care of higher power needs.

If u have a look through both the readers rides section and tech section it should help with ideas and answers.

the Blitz, SARD, JAM and Mines are yea because theyr pre-programmed for cars in Japland, so they may not match your spec exactly but they will help to up your maps in a safe way

generally enclosed filters are better but ours is right at the back of the engine bay where only hot air tends to be anyway so most people relocate to the front mate with an open filter

Im so amazed right now,

if you wanted standalone management on a Saxo.....

you have to chop the Wiring loom about (especially for me being a 3 Plug later ECU :unsure:)

.......so literally the old one just unplugs and new one goes in!?

How much are one of these badboys?!

well there arent any for sale on here at the mo, but on average they go for between £400-£500 plug and play the easiest to find are the JAM Racing models, and your best bet is to look in classifieds over on toyotagtturbo.com

its the same for us ep lads, the GTs have 2 plug ecus, the Glanza 3 plug ecus, u just literally disconnect the old ecu (behind the dashboard) and connect the new uprated one

the downside to these are if u later upgrade your car they will adapt to a certain degree, but if u go too far u could need to go for a piggyback too or the Apexi FC - which does need loom work

ive came over from 2 saxos to starlets and you can still have decent fun with the chassis just at lower speeds. . . .

like rich said fitting a rear anti roll bar and anti lift kit would bring your ep on par in terms of stearing feal and adjustabilty, thats my view though

this makes good reading on the handling subject

real handling for your ep

how to increase stearing feel with the castor kit

might sway any doubts you have about the handling as they can be made to handle good with very little cash,£150 it was just an insight that toyota omited the comon rear anti roll bar, a part that you will find on almost any car today

these cars are so much more enticing then a saxo and a grand will get you more than 160bhp, just depends on the route you take.

plus there is nothing like turbo power :unsure:

if you have any more questions just ask

That insurance quote seems a little cheap for your age and NCB you sure they quoted you on a Glanza V and not a Starlet GT which are completely different and would mean your insurance was void if you bump your car?

Just making sure because most Insurance companies dont list Glanza's

Everyone else seems to be covering the other subjects...you will find the build quality is far superior to the Saxo :unsure:

And is also more tuneable performance wise

You wont be dissapointed if you have a decent suspension set up on a V :)

I currently drive a modified Saxo VTS, but Im kinda fed up with the high insurance, expensive road tax and the rattles that every Saxo has.

I dont do alot of miles. Perhaps 6,000-7,000 a year max.

Im 19 with 1yrs ncb and a clean license,

and I can get insured on a standard Glanza for £890 fully comp I believe, where as my Saxo costs £1,040 with all mods declared tpft.

Karl.

:unsure:

Are you sure u have done the quote properly??? I cant see it being that cheap mate?

saxo's are no match imo... once you have one, youl never look back.

and im the same with the others on your ins quote. im 18 & 1 years and noone would touch me on a v until 21 or 23 apart from one who wanted 3.5k tpft....

i advise you check that out fella...

Sure, Ill get some pics of the Saxo on here tonight,

atm she's got:

BMC enclosed filter,

Piper 4-1 S/S Manifold,

Supersprint Racetube,

Piper 3" backbox,

Lowered 40mm,

White OZ super T's,

306 GTi6 283mm Brakes,

OMP upper and lower braces,

cosmetic mods like c/c'd grille, black headlights etc,

oh...and a set of buckets and harnesses.

May I ask, why is a Glanza so much dearer to insure, as I probably have made the mistake on clicking Starlet GT Turbo.

What would an Insurance company call a Glanza Turbo then? Ill get a screenshot of all the options...

insquozu9.png

There is no Glanza on the list, so Im guessing I have to click Starlet?

EDIT: I just read the first post in this thread by me,

*** Im actually 20 now since the 14th of Jan lol.