Modified Insurance help?

Hey there guys, newbie here. Haven't posted in the introduce section as I do not own a starlet as of yet sadly. Basically in the summer (i know, a bit of a wait but its exciting for me I suppose) I plan on getting a Glanza. Now this is exciting for me because i'm 18 years old and can get insured on one for just a little over a grand. Don't worry it is fully registered as a Glanza V import on the insurance site, I think I've won the postcode lottery possibly because that's pretty cheap, that's if I get my 1 years NCB, although all should be good.

But here's the problem; so I can either pick up one for 3-4k, modified and in good condition if I look around, or I can fork out 5-6k and pick up a bog standard, recently imported one as honestly no one seems to keep Glanza's stock for long.

Now, I don't want to just pick up one that's modified, insure it, and pretend like I didn't know any better because if I get in an accident, then i'm going to get bent over backwards without the help of any Vaseline, or the police or vosa will have a field day with me. I'm sure people do this, and have never had a problem, but I've heard too many horror stories of people getting in some seriously awful situations from not declaring mods.

So what i'm trying to ask is does anyone know of any insurance company that will insure someone who is 18/19 on a modified car? The only site's I've found generally want you to be at least 21 to insure mods, which is a pain, so any help at all there guys?

If not then I think my best bet is to just pick up a completely standard, low millage recent import, and just keep putting money away over the years and when I am of age to get insured on a modified car, have this standard Glanza as a blank canvas I suppose. Its just kind of annoying as even something as small as coil-overs and different alloys can make a car look 10 times better.

Anyways, thanks for reading guys and hopefully someone might know an insurer that would actually touch me in a modified car.

5-6k for a stock glanza is fairly high if you look on the forums some really nice clean cars come up for sale from time to time:

Personally id buy a nice fairly stock one and just drive it see what your driving styles like and take it from there. Mines a weekend back road blaster so it's a big power loud and bumpy car for the roads around me. Some people prefer the nice easy cruiser that's under the radar. Even in stock forum there fairly nippy at your age there probably won't be many faster cars on the road

5-6k for a stock glanza is fairly high if you look on the forums some really nice clean cars come up for sale from time to time:

Personally id buy a nice fairly stock one and just drive it see what your driving styles like and take it from there. Mines a weekend back road blaster so it's a big power loud and bumpy car for the roads around me. Some people prefer the nice easy cruiser that's under the radar. Even in stock forum there fairly nippy at your age there probably won't be many faster cars on the road

Edited by _shaun_

Welcome, Elephant let me put mods on my GT at 18-19.

Glanza quotes were around double the price so just something to watch out for.

Thanks! I will take a look at Elephant and see what they say, if you don't mind me asking how much were elephant wanting for a modified GT at around that age?

Yeah when I was going on the 5-6k I was just going on what the import shops you find want, i've seen some cracking Glanza's i'd have picked up in a heart beat on here, and i'm positive come summer more will pop up on this. I have driven a Glanza before actually, was around 180bhp and I definitely did fall in love with the drive, my dad had spotted it for sale and thought because it was a 1.3 it would be cheap insurance... yeah you can see how that one went. However I now know I can get insured for a good price on one come summer, and it is definitely is the cheapest car I can get insured on at that power, even stock as you say. I'll just need to look out for some good ones nearer the time.