No you need AC to weld alloys mate. You'll be looking at £750 + for a half decent TIG that will weld alloys.

You can weld alloys with a MIG but the finish isn't no where near as good, if that helps.

Edited by AdamB

Aye it will do steels, but don't expect it to give the penetration like it says it will do, ie 6mm. Will likely do 5-5.5mm.

Also don't forget that if you want to crank the amps right up you'll also need a 32 amp socket or you'll forever be tripping the elelectrics in the house lol.

Aye standard households are 16 amp. You will trip that when you get to about 150-160 Amps, depending on your machine and the duty cycle.

Depends really on your budget and what you're going to be using it for.

Looking to use it to create stuff to sell then it's wise to invest in a good machine, something like Miller, Kemppi, Lincoln.

For hobby use and mid range machine would be like R-Tech, Parweld, Thermal Arc, Everlast.

Then below that you got your cheap nasty chinese crap from ebay that's horrible to weld with.

That's before you get on to getting consumables such as the tungsten's, filler rods, etc. Also everyone benefits from a bench grinder as you will no doubt dunk the tungsten in the work a fair few times.

Edited by AdamB

I bought this machine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INVERTER-SOLDADOR-PROFESIONAL-SOLDADURA-SOLDAR-TIG-ACDC-ALUMINIO-200-AMP-230-V-/291401597746?pt=Habitaci%C3%B3n&hash=item43d8e38332

Yes its built in China but its not your usual rubbish. It is almost identical to a machine R-tech sell for more than double the price. But from them you get excellent customer service and a very good warranty. It depends if you want to take the risk.

Ive had it just over 2 years ago now and it hasn't had alot of use tbh but its been great. 200 amp ac/dc pulse ect so it can weld most things you would want to. I took it to a good fabricator i know who uses an old Esab transformer tig and he said it welds as nice as his beast of a tig does.

Things to consider price wise is that theres quite bit more to buy than just the welder, you need various tungsten's, different wires obviously, a decent sized argon bottle, regulator if the bottle doesnt have one built in, ceramics, collets, a decent mask, something to grind your tungsten with, gloves it all adds up to alot more than you think.

Edited by Bean
  • 1 month later...

I bought a Chinese ac/dc tig machine and so far it's been really good! I use some of the best machines at work but I can't fault the machine it does aluminium better than some of the machines at work! is much better than I expected