Having problems with the new glanza please read.

right first of all go "si's" glanza on sunday drove the car home everything seemed fine, got in and about 4 hours later went back out in the car everything started perfectly,

came to the car yesterday morning and the car would not start at all in the end the battery died due to starting it, so got the car on jump leads this morning and the car would not start for a ages and eventually it spluttered into some sort of life. the car is misfiring, and then only goes to 500rpm with lots of shuddering and shaking, and then the car will only stay at that if my foot is left on the accelerator if not it completely dies on me, theres a distinct smell of petrol too, so im guessing fuel filter will need changing but any ideas

so obviously starter is fine and theres spark there?

any ideas on what do do next?

liam.

Hi well first of all im going to start with the spark plugs took them out today and they looked like this spa0019pz7.jpg

spa0019pz7.d352e3b8f3.jpg

the 2nd one doesnt look that good and all of them are pritty thickly coated in black stuff so going to change them tomorrow, any recomendations on where to get replacement spark plugs from?

Nothing much wrong with them plugs mate - Get to a garge with a diagnostics computer system . . .Thats the good thing with the glanza's :p

You can get them plugs from more or less any shop mate - just take one in and match them up . . Or get a set off ebay!

Right, did the little diagnostic trick and it came up with no error, (it was constantly flashing) also decided to change the spark plugs aswell so went out and purchased some new ones,

the car would not start, was just the same as before, took them back out and most was a bit black and some had petrol on them so i guess they maybe flooded?

checked the fcd and its on setting 7 and all wires are connected up fine

anyway still trying to source the problem took the distributor cap off and rotor arm and found that the middle port on the cap was corroded ill post pictures up now do you think this maybe one of the problems?

any ideas on what else it could be would be much appreciated,

liam

spa0020mt0.jpg

spa0021fb1.jpg

spa0022ds0.jpg

spa0024vc9.jpg

those look like they could do with a clean,

the iginition area is a weak point on starlets, i had the same problem with mine one morning and traced it back to the leads

the gaps on those plugs look way out also

the dizy is cheap from toyota il try and hunt out the part numbers

you should try a fresh set of leads, they are abit expensive though at £75

had a problem like this on my old car with shuddering and shaking when stopped at lights feeling like it was canstantly about too stall, im not sure what the parts called but the problem was the sensor on the air intake and i just unplugged it and in ran fine, im not sayin to do that but its an area to check.

well I've had them plugs replaced today not sure on the new ones but at a guess i think they maybe 0.9

the leads look fine its just the king lead that is corroded and where the king lead goes into the dizzy cap

i would try a fresh set of leads but i dont want to buy a new set of leads at £75 for nothing, they all seem good checked and double checked them.

well tonight i have got rid of most the corrosion with some very fine sandpaper and because the plugs was a bit flooded I've taken them out and left it all to maybe dry, guna put the dizzy cap and rotor arm on in morning,also go and get a new king lead and then turn it over a couple of times without the sparks in to get rid of anymore excess fuel, then try it again

checked the coolant and it was just about empty so ill sort that in morning too,kinda getting fed up now though ;)

yeah spoke to si, he said check the fcd,ecu and rrfpr

not much luck, just a quiery though does the black wire connect together with another 2 wires if i remember a brown one sliced in two?

after tomorrow I've more or less ruled out the ignition side of things, next guna check the fuel and just generally see if theres any loose wires

hopefully i havnt done any damage trying to start the car a fair few times, i have a fuel filter which i got with the car it looks new but it was a pain in the ass tryna get the one in the car off so ill try that again tomorrow too

i had the exact same symptoms as you not so long bk, apart from my engine warning light wouldnt go off aswell when mine started doing it. mine was all down to the ecu, so i reset it to the facotry base map on the ecu and everything was fine! im not saying that yours will be in the same situation tho.. unless you have been messing with your set up?

p.s enzo you nicked my signiture!! lol

i tried resetting the ecu by removing the efi and it didnt make a difference

going to try the fuel filter and replace the king lead other than that im just guna try and get the car into jap tech ;)

yeah the people at jap tech do good work! i know alot of people who have used them! if you sign up on nipponsquad theres alot of lads from hull area who are very exprenced in jap cars who may be able to help you and save you alot of money dude!

www.nipponsquad.co.uk

when ever a car wont start i think what you need to get it running,

spark, fuel, air these are the absolute basic elements im sure you know. Go through each of them and im sure you will find whats wrong.

are you getting a spark, have you tried pulling the leads out with the spark plugs attached and turning it over? is the spark weak? if so you can trace it to ignition.

You said your plugs were covered in petrol so your obviously getting fuel but if you are is it enough i.e. try pulling the bottom line out the fuel filter. It should flwo freely.

Im assuming your getting air into the engine but if the above doesnt work then look at this.

As the ignition system is a common problem i would of thought it would be this in one form or another.

If all that fails then start looking at sensors which could affect ignition, air or fuel.

Well do that or just get a garage to plug it in and see whats wrong lol

right i have disconnected the injectors today and took the ht lead out with the spark plug and tested it on a head bolt and all of them sparked

so does that rule out the coil pack,leads,spark plugs,distributor and rotor arm?

also took the injectors out and they all seem ok

so im guessing if its not that

im likely to be looking at a fuel problem, tried getting the fuel filter off managed to get the top bolt off but i cant get the bottom one off it seems to me that it has ground down and i cant get a spanner on it

im going to try that then probably wake my way from the fuel pump upto the injectors

do you think this is the best idea and could it maybe be timing? and any ideas of getting the bottom 14mm bolt off?