TF035 4cm vs 6cm turbine housing

to your thread dont bore out the housing mate keep the tfo35 core and fit the tdo4l compressor side prop and housing to make more cfm>torque

u only need to get the core machined to take the bigger prop ( aluminium side )

i am getting the billet 50% upgrade for my tfo

I should clarify that the current turbo that im running is this Kinugawa one. http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawaturbo99-08subaruwrxforestertd04l-13t-6210hp-1-3.aspx

Its basically a TD04 turbo (front cover , compressor wheel and 6cm turbine housing, with the smaller forester TF035 Exhaust wheel. Its how they are brand new.

The boost does not drop off, it holds 14 psi all the way to redline. So my thinking is that the TF exhaust wheel is flowing enough not to restrict it at high revs.

Im going to try the smaller turbine housing, hopefully it still holds to redline without choking, but with better spool up. Currently getting 14 psi at 3380 rpm. !.3L 4efe + T . Would like 14 psi at 2800-3000

You may have seen my build thread... ?? Here it is anyway. http://austarletclub.com/index.php?/topic/19604-project-starlet-andrew/

Edited by Androo26

Really interested in this. Currently have a tf035 and spool time is fantastic, i see full boost 1.1bar at 3100 rpm

I am now looking at getting 280bhp but is the only way to go td04 or some crazy combo.

Will need the spindle balancing but not sure where to get that done.

And androo, you say you have the 6cm exhaust housing with the small tf exhaust wheel? Do you not have a massive gap between the exhaust housing and the blades?

Nah Turbo Goose the Kinugawa TF035 6cm housing is smaller than regular TD04 6cm ones in the outlet area to suit the small 35 turbine wheel.

richardc9052- in Australia we have 98 octane. pump fuel very available to us ( nearly every fuel station has it.) and careful tuning.

It is stock my man.

So your turbo is a tf035 exhaust housing bored out at the flange where it meets the exhaust manifold??

And the compressor wheel is that off a td04??

So basically a TF035 with a larger compressor wheel and a machined exhaust inlet?

Turbo goose - the turbo im currently running is basically a 6cm TF035 with TD04 front cover and compressor wheel from a WRX. I plan on swaping to the 4cm exhaust housing and testing the differences.

No modifications to the flanges ... just all stock subaru and kinigawa stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I took some pics of the inside of each turbine housing just out of interest.

6cm*

20150429_174442_zpshyh3eqyl.jpg

4cm*

20150429_174405_zpsq40ahw5l.jpg

You can really see how it necks down a lot in the smaller housing, about 1/3rd less id say... Probably more of a restriction than the 35mm turbine exducer.

Wait and see.

• 1 month later...

First up appologies for the long time between posts.... but here is somthing to ponder

Tonight I did some data logs to see how quick I could get this curent turbo to spool up by setting the gain control to 95%

This is like pulling the waste gate line off.... only safer beacuse it has a boost cut set at 14.5psi . The gate will stay completly closed untill 95% of the target boost (14psi) is met. 13.3 psi.

Because it ramps so quickly it spikes to 14.5 and cuts boost back to 6 psi straight away...... Its quite amazing how well it does it and can save you from destroying an engine.

So the results were as follows . 5 runs 3rd gear wide open throttle from 2000 rpm. As ive mentioned before the boost controller reads 14 psi and the Microtech sees 13 due to pressure drop.

Out of the 5 runs 3 of them saw 13 psi at 3380rpm and the other 2 saw it at 3320rpm.... so some where in the middle is a good point to start.

No one ever drives there car like this but when normal driving it comes on really hard and fast.... its fun.

After ive swaped to the 4cm housing I will do the same test with the same settings to see the difference in spool up between the 4cm and 6cm Turbine housings.

For those that dont know this engine is / was a naturally aspirated 1.3L 4EFE with a turbo added.

The current turbo coming off to fit the smaller rear housing.

20150630_164321_zpsqj2zk5tt.jpg

I can confirm that the Subaru housing fits the Kinugawa turbo.

20150630_173252_zpsy0h1qhfi.jpg

Sitting back on the manifold.... Hopefully I can get it all back together tomorrow

20150630_180459_zpszbbe3njy.jpg

Upon further investigation ive run into a few minor alignment issues.

The 4cm housing seems to be 2-3mm shorter from top to bottom, as per the pics.

20150701_160422_zpsstqnpr9v.jpg

20150701_160129_zpsgsxk6ykq.jpg

To combat this ive knocked up a 3mm copper spacer gasket.

20150701_181744_zpsgqsv0muy.jpg

Hopefully this will see everything line up again..... I didnt think that it would all be a perfect swap over.

Ive been hard at it over the last couple of afternoons and its now back together except for the front bar and radiator cap. its been started and run upto temperature... Il do the rest in the morning.

An engine bay view from high atop a ladder.

20150703_183926_zpsrv6xvw3y.jpg

Data logs are in .... and the difinitive answer to "what is the spool difference between th 4cm* and 6cm* turbine housing at 14 psi" is.......

200 rpm.

Here is a graph ive made up compareing the 2.

20150704_223518_LLS_zpsvhqcadzq.jpg

However this may not seem like much at the peak boost pressure..... but the graph tells the story......on the road its much more punchy around the 3000 rpm mark and quicker to respond to throttle inputs especially when up around the 4K mark (twisty roads ect)

Edited by Androo26
  • 2 months later...

Ive picked up another 4cm TF035 for 50 bucks ....

Im getting this smaller 4cm housing machined as we speak to suit a WRX TD04......... Same as a normal TD04 but with a 4cm housing instead of a 6cm....... Turbine and compressor wheels remain TD04 items...

Just a different combo to test out.

20150929_082628_zpsez28m67i.jpg

Sorry Collin I missread you question... Ive measured the TF035HM I have here and the compressor wheel measures at 51mm max 39.5mm min diameters.

A TD04l compressor wheel measures at 56 and 40.7mm... So a bit smaller than a 13T

As far as what its called... i dont know. To my knowledge the Forrester TF035 only came in one variation.....as far as the compressor size goes.

Edited by Androo26