Over heating problem...

Hey

I've had real problems with radiators / fans in the last few months. First if all my aluminium rad had a slight leak in this (it had the original fan) so I changed both of these to a half size aluminium rad and slimline fan then had problems with the fan not working (personally I think it was just bad luck) so changed to another fan which hasn't been too bad but sat in a tiny bit of traffic today and the temp slowly started to creep, I could hear the fan cut in and out though so I don't think it's broken... Luckily traffic started to move and once I started driving it went back to normal.

I'm going to check coolant in the actual rad and whether the fan is defo working properly tomorrow as it's too dark to see now. But if that's not bad could this poss be my thermostat not opening?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks in advance

Kate

if I doubt change ure thermo and also your rad fan switch. just for piece of mind.

also if your really worried u shud link up a light or led inline with the fan so u can see when its active. tbh thats something I maywell do as it shows when fans on or not.

Thanks. After looking today there wasn't any coolant in the top hose of rad... I topped the rad up (took about a pint and a half-ish) then ran it a bit more and fan came on fine.

I'll change thermostat to be on safe side.

I'm guessing it's just where it had lost a bit of coolant maybe?

UPDATE-

Changed the thermostat... Was in quite a bit of traffic today and it started to over heat slightly again. The fan is kicking in so just don't know what to check / change next??

Well my gauge slowly creeps up? The fan is working but temp doesn't drop. It's annoying as it only does is in traffic, I've sat outside my house for ages and the temp gauge didn't move but as soon as I get in stop start traffic the gauge creeps. I put my heater on full and it dropped after that and also when traffic started moving it also dropped.

If it starts to go anywhere above half then I would start questioning. The gauge doesn't tend t move a massive amount after the fan kicks in, just enough to bring it down to below where the fan would normally come on.

As for sitting outside your house with it running I assume from cold, you will be hard pushed to generate enough heat to bring the fan on without putting the engine under load

John

Have done all of the above. It's possible there could be an air lock but as I'm running out of time it's at the garage tomorrow to get head gasket checked etc so hoping they find the problem.

Thanks guys