engine staying on.

hi sorry if this has been asked i have had a look.

im have been lookin at a 1995 gt and is it normal that the engine stays on after taking the key out for about 5 seconds?

just wanted to quickly check before i go and buy.

thanks for any help!

there you go then, that keeps the engine running for a bit to cool the turbo down.

turn it off if you want it to stop.

job done.

thanks alot buddy.

kinda a stupid question really.

is it better for the turbo to leave it on?

Yeah bud, Leave it running longer the harsher you drive.

If youre just gently poodling off boost just leave it a few seconds then shut it off.

If just say, youve hammered it down a drag strip for instance, you want to leave it running for a minute or so to let the oil circulate and cool.

Otherwise you may end up with a damaged turbo and generally just decrease the life of it :angry:

nope, thats about it :lol:

to save money you can just take it easy a few mile before you stop or allow a couple of mins on your journey to sit in with the engine running for warm up/cool down.

i found my TT handy in the winter to turn the heaters on, lock the GT then run back into the house for a cup of tea while it de-ices :lol:

but that was on private land, it's actually illigal to leave your car running un-attended, so just be warned!!

5 secs is very short mate. It should be at leat around 1min30secs for normal driving and up to about 3 for harsh.

5secs isn't going to protect anything lad... :lol:

I didnt mean 5 seconds , i meant something like half a minute.

Tbh if youre driving it off boost you wont have to let it idle and cool.

Otherwise every car with a turbo would have a timer installed to stop damage :lol:

I leave my timer set at 2mins which is plenty for after a harsh drive, and if im driving off boost ill turn the timer/engine straight off as soon as ive put all my crap away in the glovebox and found my phone and keys ;)

nope, thats about it :lol:

to save money you can just take it easy a few mile before you stop or allow a couple of mins on your journey to sit in with the engine running for warm up/cool down.

i found my TT handy in the winter to turn the heaters on, lock the GT then run back into the house for a cup of tea while it de-ices :lol:

but that was on private land, it's actually illigal to leave your car running un-attended, so just be warned!!

So is there a TT that allows the car to be locked?

Mine wont lock until the engine is off.

Is the GT's central locking system different to a glanzas?

Oz

Mine doesnt lock with the timer running.Its because the ignitions still live.

I need a different alarm system because mine is driving me crazy anyway.

Slightest but of wind or heavy rain droplets and the feckin thing sets off..Immense fun for the neighbours on a windy morning at 3am :lol:

They loves it.yes they do

what is the point in having a timer if you have to sit and wait for it? lol.

might aswell take it off and sell it.

Well mine came with it fitted (I say fitted, read thrown in!), so its not like I shelled out for it or anything. :D

So will the locking + TT work with any after market alarm, or does it need to be an alarm with tt built in? any suggested models etc?

Sorry for the thread hijack! :lol:

Cheers,

Oz