Got a list of questions so i thought id write a thread

Firstly, how much worse on fuel will my gt turbo be if i decat it? because obviously its got the two lambda sensors will it run badly?

Will a motorbike can be too restrictive? I dont like the 4 inch exit exhaust and ive got a can sitting at my mates

What can i do to make it quicker without changing intercooler and retaining the high low boost button? Im still paying off buying the car so Im keeping mods to a minimum for now.

I realy enjoy the high low button because it means im never bored of how fast it is when i put it on high boost

And to top it all off my misses isnt allowed to drive for a year because of epilepsy so i need to keep the car not too thirsty and reliable aha i cant afford for it to blow up, im doing alot of miles in it at the moment.

Any help is appreciated, im pretty sure i sound like a total noob but you know!

For reference it has a cat back, hks ssqv and an air filter sucking in hot air...

Getting a decat shouldnt really effect your fuel economy as most decats should have a place for the lambda sensor. The other sensor at the bottom is a cat temp sensor (i think, not 100%)

Chances are if you decat the car your hi-lo button will become useless and your probably going to be getting high boost regardless because of the lack of restriction. Happened to me when i had filter and exhaust. Might even end up hitting fuel cut, assuming your still on a ct9? Do you have boost gauge?

Decat shouldnt affect fuelling too much, starlets aint all that good on fuel anyway, just drive off boost and you'll probably not notice any difference.

Only uses 1 o2 sensor, the bottom sensor is a cat temp sensor

Bike can shouldnt be restrictive, might make it sound shit though

Could up the boost a bit once you have the decat on, the tmic should still work quite well or get an uprated tmic if you dont want a front mount yet.

You'll probably start hitting fuel cut so maybe best just to leave it alone until for now tbh.

Getting a decat shouldnt really effect your fuel economy as most decats should have a place for the lambda sensor. The other sensor at the bottom is a cat temp sensor (i think, not 100%)

Chances are if you decat the car your hi-lo button will become useless and your probably going to be getting high boost regardless because of the lack of restriction. Happened to me when i had filter and exhaust. Might even end up hitting fuel cut, assuming your still on a ct9? Do you have boost gauge?

Ah ok i thought the second one was a post cat lambda, thats a relief, i won a toyosports decat on ebay for cheap and i just hate how droney and toneless the exhaust note is!

How does the high lo work?

Yep standard ct9, i do but it doesnt work currently ive gotta re wire it as the previous owner just stuffed the wires into the back of the stereo block!

Decat shouldnt affect fuelling too much, starlets aint all that good on fuel anyway, just drive off boost and you'll probably not notice any difference.

Only uses 1 o2 sensor, the bottom sensor is a cat temp sensor

Bike can shouldnt be restrictive, might make it sound shit though

Could up the boost a bit once you have the decat on, the tmic should still work quite well or get an uprated tmic if you dont want a front mount yet.

You'll probably start hitting fuel cut so maybe best just to leave it alone until for now tbh.

I try and drive off boost but shit its so addictive!

I dont think it could sound much worse, its just noise atm, if it didnt have a dump valve id feel like a 17 year old in 1 litre corsa with a loud exhaust!

What does fuel cut feel like? And yeah that was supposed to be one of the questions because i dont wana be putting any fcd's on it or anything.

I will be relocating the air filter once ive pulled the air con out and fitted my civic rad though.

And na i dont want a front mount yet, dont wana wreck this well clean bumper!

Edited by dan106

Driving off boost in a ct9 starlet is gotta be mind numbing lol, they pretty much start boosting at idle haha.

Has it still got the Japspeed system? They make some racket! Not the best noise in the world.

Fuel cut feels like you hit a brick wall lol. Best stay away from FCDs, they can be bad news.

Moving the filter to the front + fitting that decat might just be enough to get a bit of boost creep going and take it up to the fuel cut level, best get that gauge wired up to keep an eye on things.

And wouldnt be cutting that bumper, You'll be hard pushed to find another uncut silver one, id be chopping and spraying another one.

I'd just do away with the hi lo button. Doesn't make fuck all difference to your fuel consumption anyway. Control how much boost your using with your right foot if your that concerned.

A HKS actuator will give you a noticeable gain at the same boost level ( if you do fit one you will lose the hi/lo button function) plus you can up the boost a little. Front mounted intercooler a can be got cheap now a days aswell

Then make it lighter!

That'll do you for a while at least

Driving off boost in a ct9 starlet is gotta be mind numbing lol, they pretty much start boosting at idle haha.

Has it still got the Japspeed system? They make some racket! Not the best noise in the world.

Fuel cut feels like you hit a brick wall lol. Best stay away from FCDs, they can be bad news.

Moving the filter to the front + fitting that decat might just be enough to get a bit of boost creep going and take it up to the fuel cut level, best get that gauge wired up to keep an eye on things.

And wouldnt be cutting that bumper, You'll be hard pushed to find another uncut silver one, id be chopping and spraying another one.

Yeah its quite annoying when its still a bit cold i can barely hit 30 without boosting!

My mate thats got a gt4 was saying them boys put some kind of restrictor in the decat to avoid boost creep? Does that sound like something that could help?

Yeah itll be getting wired up asap, i dont have the tools for wiring gotta wait till me and my mate are both off work at the same time, spent a few days doing the clutch on his scoob last week.

Yeah i think its stil the japspeed, i hate it, and its too short so it burns the bumper and knocks of the rear floopan!

I might have a slight misfire then, was racing an astra the other day and it felt like a misfire, i thought that was fuel cut, hmmm!

Yeah thats the plan, want to get an already cut one painted up for when i do the front mount, and front exit exhaust

I'd just do away with the hi lo button. Doesn't make fuck all difference to your fuel consumption anyway. Control how much boost your using with your right foot if your that concerned.

A HKS actuator will give you a noticeable gain at the same boost level ( if you do fit one you will lose the hi/lo button function) plus you can up the boost a little. Front mounted intercooler a can be got cheap now a days aswell

Then make it lighter!

That'll do you for a while at least

I like it because I get used to low boost and it always feels fast again when i hit high boost, which is rapid to me coming from a 1.4 rover!

How would the actuator give me a gain with the same boost pressure? Honesly i know how a turbo works but im still learning about the other bits aha, this is the first car ive had that i havent just decked lol

A stronger diaphragm than the shite worn stock item. It'll build and hold boost a lot harder.

There is a boost restrict in the hi/lo module that you can bypass to give you full boost in first and second just by looping over a wee pipe!

But honestly do yourself a favour and rip it out. Low boost is for pussies!

I've a mate like you, He decks all of his cars! He had a mk2 golf we used to call the snake. because it slid along anywhere it went on its belly haha!

Ah ok, will have to look into doing that then!

I've just blanked off my dump valve as whoever fitted it was a bodge artist, they clamped a sillicone hose onto a sillicone hose! Just bought a reducer but gotta wait for it to turn up, will this harm the turbo?

And will not having the cat temp sensor affect anything? because the seat I've bought doesn't have the hole for it

And yeah that's exactly what my old starlet was like aha! Took 2 years to get through the sump though, that and all the footwells were pushed up

Edited by dan106