Having clutch problems...

I've not long had my starlet (first car 8)) and I've noticed that sometimes it won't come out of gear or won't go in gear, it usually happens when I've had the clutch pedal all the way down for too long, even though it's barely any time at all compared to cars that work properly. It did it yesterday when I was reversing out of a parking space, i was only using the clutch for the few seconds it takes to do that and as soon as I put my foot back down to put it into first it wouldn't come out of reverse and so I just had to let it stall and then yank it out of gear and get going :cray: . Usually if I can get it in neutral and take my foot all the way off the clutch then back down again it works ok until the whole process starts again. Any ideas? I'm getting a tad sick of shitting myself and having to drive it in a certain way. You'll have to excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge, I'm trying to learn as I go! Any help would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

I would change your fluid if that dosent work I'd look at the slave cylinder being at fault.

Cheers, I'll look into doing that :thumbsup:

Bleed the slave through with some new fluid. And as nick said if it doesn't work change the slave. Have you checked the fluid level?

When i find out how to do that I'll certainly give it a whirl! And no I haven't, I probably should have thought of that first haha :sad: how do I check it?

its the small reservoir to the right of the brake master cylinder (the big round black thing on the fire wall)

id definitely bleed some new fluid through though

Just checked and it's pretty much full... Looks like I'm going to have to see how to bleed the damn thing :sad:

Bleedings easy mate. Get a short length of silicone hose (8mm, I think?), cut a small slit in one end and insert a small nail on the same end as the slit to make a crude valve. Connect the other end of the hose to the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder (small black thing held onto the gearbox by 2 bolts just behind the radiator). Put about an inch of clutch/brake fluid into a jar and drop the valved end of the hose into it so the valve is completely submerged.

On the slave, there's a 10mm bolt, start undoing it 1/4 turn at a time, after each turn have someone in the car pump the clutch. When you start getting bubbles and/or shitty black fluid coming out of the valve into the jar, stop loosening and have them pump the clutch until the fluid comes out clear. You'll need to top up the clutch master cylinder during and after the bleed to make sure you're not inserting air into the top of the system so keep an eye on it throughout.

When the fluids flushed right through, have the person inside hold the clutch down as you re tighten the 10mm bolt. Final top up of the master and you're done.

Ps. Keep the hose and jar with the fluid in, you an use the exact same setup to do your brakes as well :)

Edited by FrozenJakalope