GT Turbo overheating

On Sunday evening just as I pulled into my garage in my GT I noticed my car temperature was getting very high and when I got out the car I could see a little bit of steam/smoke coming out the nearside of the bonnet. I turned her off but left the fan on. Once she cooled down I just shut her off.

On inspection under the bonnet I noticed my engine fluid had little to none left. What was left was a really dark brown rusty fluid. Which has also spewed over part of the engine on the right hand side I have took a couple of pictures to try and show where it's spilled over.

So I topped up the coolent.

The following day I started her up. She seemed to be ticking over as normal. She warmed up half way on the temperature gauge (quicker than normal) I drove her a hundred yards and the temperature started rising quickly. So I turned her off and left the fans on to cool her down.

I'm not that clued up on fixing cars so I have her booked in with the garage I use. I was just wanting a little advice as to what the problem could be.

Thanks Dale

post-9864-0-31262100-1435086172_thumb.jp

post-9864-0-01845000-1435086235_thumb.jp

Edited by Dale SR

Thats some rusty water!!could just need a good flush mate worth changing thermostat too make sure you flush the matrix too and get some decent coolant in there once the system is flushed fully.best to start with the cheaper things lol

Edited by enots

A thermostat won't cause it to over heat in anyway, that will prevent the engine from warming up. Are there any noticeable leaks from the pipes or the rad?

As said before, drain the system and flush it well. Once topped up again, turn on the car with the rad cap off and put the heaters on full blast. Whilst it's on give the hoses a squeeze to release any trapped air in the system, you'll see the coolant in the rad start to bubble, just keep it going for 15/30 mins and take it out for a spin to see how she holds up :)

• 3 weeks later...