4EFE Corolla E11 Tubular Inlet Manifold into N/A EP91 Starlet

I know this matter was commented good few times already - I've spent some time trying to catch all the info from different threads…
… but I am still not 100% sure about few related things (I am kind of newbie and not a mechanic either…) and with your help lads I just would like to summarise it as I just purchased the tubular inlet from 1998 E11 Corolla 1.3 4EFE (for €10!!!) and I want to fit it into my 1998 EP91 Irish Starlet.

I think it would be great for all of us ordinary N/A people to have this info in one thread!

So:

The 2nd Gen 4EFE Mani is the rectangular shape which is currently in my N/A EP91 Starlet:
my_sta10.jpg

The 3rd Gen 4EFE Mani is the tubular shape (looks like an octopus;) and can be found in E11 Corolla 1.3 (Is it also mounted in Jap N/A starlets like Reflet, Soleil? I know it’s not in Glanza S…)
I bought this:
tubula10.jpg
tubula11.jpg

The most important questions are:

1. The swap of the intake manifold between 2nd and 3rd Gen 4E-FE is just straight forward replacement - correct? (all the hoses, cables etc stay where they are? The existing bracket holding the inlet stays and fits ok?)

2. What is the inside diameter of that intake - will it fit my existing standard throttle body??? (is it 45mm?)

3. If I change the Mani only do I still get better airflow? Is it worth investing in 50mm throttle body and what car is it from? (do I have to port the mani then?)

4. Do I have to change the ECU (after changing Mani only) or just overnight reset would do?

5. Would it work better If I got the 100bhp 4EFE jap ECU (Soleil but not Glanza S or jap EP82/85 only?) - is it plug and play and is it safe and does it benefit in any power gain in Irish 4EFE?!? Does it have to be mapped for Irish fuel?

6. What is the most advantageous set up for this tubular inlet?

7. After fitting this tubular inlet only - Is there anything I MUST do?

Thank you in advance for all the help and comments!!! Cheers!

1. The swap of the intake manifold between 2nd and 3rd Gen 4E-FE is just straight forward replacement - correct? (all the hoses, cables etc stay where they are? The existing bracket holding the inlet stays and fits ok?)

Yes to all of the above except the small hose that goes to the MAP sensor will be slightly too short. Think it's a 4mm silicone hose you need, can be got on eBay for less than £2 posted.

2. What is the inside diameter of that intake - will it fit my existing standard throttle body??? (is it 45mm?)

Exactly the same as the standard N/A throttle body, same sensors and size.

3. If I change the Mani only do I still get better airflow? Is it worth investing in 50mm throttle body and what car is it from? (do I have to port the mani then?)

Yes, the shape of the mani and smaller chamber is where you get the gains. It would be a massive ball ache to change the TB as well because of the sensors. I think the 4AFE TB is the best bet if you really want a 50mm one, but then you would need to port the inlet to get gains and they'd be minimal. Not worth the effort imo.

4. Do I have to change the ECU (after changing Mani only) or just overnight reset would do?

Your ECU will be fine, you don't even really NEED to reset it, it'll adjust itself within its own tolerances over a couple of days driving either way.

5. Would it work better If I got the 100bhp 4EFE jap ECU (Soleil but not Glanza S or jap EP82/85 only?) - is it plug and play and is it safe and does it benefit in any power gain in Irish 4EFE?!? Does it have to be mapped for Irish fuel?

Pass. The 100ps 4EFE is the 1st gen which has a mani that's similar to the turbo one, 50mm TB and all. I don't know what the sensor layout or requirements for that ECU are.

As for the mapping, you'd need an emanage or similar to do that either way as the OEM ECU can't be mapped directly. Should be fine though, mine is and I use pretty much exclusively 95 octane supermarket fuel.

6. What is the most advantageous set up for this tubular inlet?

No different to not having the mani. This one is literally just an improvement, anything else you'd do to improve the car in your eyes will still improve the car. Bigger exhaust for better throttle response and so on will give the same gains.

7. After fitting this tubular inlet only - Is there anything I MUST do?

Make absolutely damn sure you've got the vac lines and coolant lines on the right way round. We've all done it at some point since the hoses are identical, but if you put them on backwards you'll pump coolant straight into the cylinders and best case is you have to sit there for 10 minutes while the engine sharts it all out of the exhaust. Worst case is you hydrolock it and pop a rod.

FrozenJakalope: This is brilliant. Someone finally gave me answers to all these questions!!!

Thank you so much for your time and effort. It is priceless help for someone who only starts modifing!

Thanks again FrozenJakalope! I'll change this intake in August and report back how it works!

Edited by Di_Bodi