So I was out for a nice drive the other day nothing to crazy just me the car and some Suffolk back roads i was having a brilliant time out and about and then 3rd gear started to become a little bit hard to engage. Luckily I wasn't to far from home only about 10 minuets so a babied the car back home avoiding any harsh or unneeded gear changes everything was going fine until I approached a very sharpe corner that forced me to drop in to second. Then BANG I had no drive and no clutch pedal. The pedal would move an inch then go rock hard. Something wasn't right. Lucky I was a matter of 200 yards from my house so I pushed the car back and left it on my drive. Yesterday I found some free time to drop the box off and have a look at what's going on.

And this is what I found

Posted ImagePosted Image

Now the clutch isn't a problem it's what it's don't to my gear box that's got to me. Having no car sucks when I'm trying to look for a new job but on the upper hand I have 3spare 4efte gear boxes (non of which work) but could I make one out of what I have? If anyone has done this before I.e changed the bell housing. Please could you let me know what I need to do or direct me to a how to somewhere please so I could have a crack at it.

Thanks

Liam

yeah buddy the housing is fairly simple to replace,

if you follow this guide

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/59358-a-guide-to-fit-an-aftermarket-quaife-lsd/

obviously some parts can be ignored but this should help a lot, it helped me to replace the centre section of my gearbox

:-)

by the way you've done a cracking job haha

yeah buddy the housing is fairly simple to replace, 

if you follow this guide 

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/59358-a-guide-to-fit-an-aftermarket-quaife-lsd/

obviously some parts can be ignored but this should help a lot, it helped me to replace the centre section of my gearbox 

:-)

by the way you've done a cracking job haha 

Thank you so much I'll get cracking with it Saturday morning

Oh Indeed I wish I could say it's because of my crazy power....................................... But I can't

no problem buddy, i thought it would be a right task, but its not as bad as you expect ;-)

haahaa mine broke under braking so dont wurrie about it ;-P

while the box is in bits id check the breaings  and synchros where possible

Really?? did it do as much damage?

Yeah that's a good shout buddy thanks for that I've always had a dog of a second gear but only down shifting never going up. Strange????¿

thats a good efford for sure :) :) 

Ahaa thanks dude.

Either of you have a rough idea of the gear ratio difference between the n/a and turbo boxes? I'm feeling combining some gearing here to suit the na set up better.

This is the damage .....

Posted Image

Sound like a worn synchro to me buddy best bet would be to check the condition when it's in bits

As for different gears im unsure Colin is more of a guru than me but I know the fte gears are nearly twice as thick as fe gears

Oh sshhhhhhhhhhhhheeeelllllssss that's not good.

Ahh okay so that's the strength in the fte box then.

Only trouble is I can't remember for the life of my why each box is there.

Oh and on the inside of my pressure plate it had a 2E stamp. And the clutch measured at 190mm for the friction plate. I'm presuming that's correct for a 4efe and not some gadget bolting a 2e clutch n flywheel on there?

Thanks

Liam

4.1fd or 4.3 for na box ( depends wa car it comes of usually revs 200 to 300 rpm higher then turbo boxes they pull wel but with a smal reduced top speed what bhp are you running ???

as alex mentioned the gears are thinner so nooo 1st gear launches with them i had 1 for a while at a bar pulled very well

4.1fd or 4.3 for na box ( depends wa car it comes of usually  revs 200 to 300 rpm higher  then turbo boxes  they pull wel but with a smal reduced top speed what bhp are you running ??? 

as alex mentioned the gears are thinner so nooo 1st gear launches with them  i had 1 for a while at a bar pulled very well  

How could I tell what my type of box I have? If it's come from what n/a?

Well it should be 100bhp as standard plus a few little fiddles I've never had it on a dyno so I couldn't tell you sorry.

Ahh right maybe I should pack in draging it against civics. I always thought it was a turbo box as it's got the ally end. Maybe I am wrong?

Thank you

Liam

no keep at it your na full pelt will do no bother its the torque of turbos that kills them in the end

turbo boxes on a na are to long geared anyways it will slow down to much try sourcing a genuine cynos b box :) :) there the closed gearing out there and super light weight

no keep at it your na full pelt will do no bother its the torque of turbos that kills them in the end 

turbo boxes on a na are to long geared anyways it will slow down to much  try sourcing a genuine cynos b box :) :)  there the closed gearing out there  and super light weight 

Sweet hopefully I can get back to murdering some fiesta pritty soon then. :-)

Haha if I could afford it I would hence the need to build one box out of spares :'(

there is no way you could tel the diference al na boxes look the same and toyota didnt nr them so its a geas which c1## nr they have

I know, its a shame Toyota never stamped the boxes, its a pain in the hole.

Sweet hopefully I can get back to murdering some fiesta pritty soon then. :-)

Haha if I could afford it I would hence the need to build one box out of spares :'(

Chances are its the original box in your Gi.

What does the engine bay plate say the box code is? Bet its different to a normal N/a.

Chances are its the original box in your Gi.

What does the engine bay plate say the box code is? Bet its different to a normal N/a.

We're will I find it buddy and I'll let you know haha

We're will I find it buddy and I'll let you know haha

Directly in the middle of the bulkhead in the engine bay, just once you fine out what code it is (assuming its the original box) then you can look around the internet and find out what ratios you have. It might just be the same as a UK N/a but you never know.

This is the plate youre looking for.

20150630_183234_zpslf9npt3z.jpg

Directly in the middle of the bulkhead in the engine bay, just once you fine out what code it is (assuming its the original box) then you can look around the internet and find out what ratios you have. It might just be the same as a UK N/a but you never know.

This is the plate youre looking for.

Posted Image

Right so here's my plate dude. Posted Image

Trans/axel is c150-542

Witch is different to yours so is that the same as all n/a 4e's

Thanks

Liam

Just took this from a toyota gearbox wiki page. ===C150===

A 5-Speed Manual Transmission for FWD cars.

Gear ratios for this transmission.

{| class="wikitable"

|-

! 1st

! 2nd

! 3rd

! 4th

! 5th

! Reverse

! Final

! Final Echo

! Final Paseo

! Final Starlet & Tercel

|-

|}

Applications:

* [[Toyota Starlet#80 Series|Toyota Starlet]] (All EP82 except turbo and 4WD)

* [[Toyota Echo]] 2000-2005

* Toyota Corolla [[Toyota Corolla (E80)|E80]] and [[Toyota Corolla (E90)|E90]] 1985–1992 with [[Toyota E engine#2E|2E]] engine

* Toyota Corolla [[Toyota Corolla (E110)|E110]] with 4E-FE engine

* [[Toyota Paseo]] 1991–1999

* [[Toyota Tercel]] 1991–1994

Looks like I have the normal n/a box? When I split it if I take some pictures of the in sides could any one tell me if there is much difference between mine and the stand n/a box as the wiki pages gives them two different codes. One for the sr and one for the gi

Regards

Liam

Whoop all done n working lovely no more second gear crunch.

I've got 2 complete 4efte gear box in parts plus an extra bell housing of a toyota lsd box that's in good shape if any one is interested in parts let me know

Thanks

Liam

That's good to hear buddy glad it's fixed :-)

My lsd box needs a few nuts and bolts from the extra section if you have them buddy ??

Thank dude. I just have the bell housing but I have boxes apon boxes of nuts and bolts do you know what size? And length they are? Or so you just need the 12mm bolts that go around the case?

Thank

Liam

Edited by Ep82gi