I've been told the radiator from an automatic has a cooler built-in for the gearbox

Is this correct?

I'm thinking of changing my rad for a half size one but it doesn't have a cooler in it, will I be alright to put that on?

On the normal auto rad are there extra pipes coming off it for this cooler?

Does anyone know how this cooler in the auto rad works?

Thanks

I doubt very much they had a cooler for the gear box if I'm honest I had a quick whip round and couldn't find a thing. To be honest "IF" they did have one it would be a separate radiator any way like oils cooler size as there is only gear box oil to cool no water. So in answer to your question yes you will be fine changing to a half size radiator.

Edited by Ep82gi

i can confirm the ep91 automatic radiator has a "cooler" built into it...there are two small pipes at the bottom of the radiator to attach the two hoses from the transmission

i cant say for sure...but i suspect its just a small canister in the bottom of the radiator to allow the transmission fluid to be cooled by the circulating coolant in the radiator.

how effective it is i have no idea

if you want to keep the cooler for the gearbox get one from a car that has an oil cooler will work very same and mount it separate next to your half size rad or somewhere suitable

you will need to clean the oil cooler out petrol will clean it out just to get any remains of oil out and then its just piping the gearbox cooler lines to your new cooler