Valve stem seals changed with head on?

Lol quite a funny video and i'm sure the guy filming is Seth Rogen...

However just to clarify, yes you can chsnge the stem seals with the head still on. I suppose there is quite a bit to explain so I'll brush over it.

Firstly if you zip tie the cam belt to the cam pulley and remove the bolt into the cam, not lowering it so you don't disturb the timing, but gently slide the pulley off the cam, this will save you a lot of time. You can just pull it back onto the cam later and bolt it back up. Secondly the hardest part is going to be putting the retainers and keepers back in place if you don't have the correct tools.

But basically...

Remove top cam cover.

Remove rocker cover.

Zip tie belt to cam pulley and remove to side.

Remove cams by evenly and gradually removing caps in a spiral motion from the middle.

Remove buckets with shims.

Now either pressurise the cylinder you're working on with a leak down tester, or if that sounds like gobildy gook, you can put some rope down the spark plug hole and put the piston up, however this will disturb the cam belt and timing.

Once valves are wedged up with air or rope, remove springs and seals as in video, pliers are fine to use also, when putting new seals in just use a right sized socket on an extension to push the seals into place. It doesn't take a lot of force.

Work backwards to build back up...

I'm giving that as a guide on the asumption you have an idea what you're doing... If you don't understand a lot of it, just take it to a garage and save yourself a massive headache.

Edited by aaddzz123

i done it with the bluepoint version of the tool above and it was nice and simple. even using air id still turn the pistons to the top of the bores for the camber your doing and lock the crank just as a fail safe. it means even if a valve did drop it only drops a cm or so and can still be retreived via the head. if the piston is half way or at the bottom it would likely fall straight down and youd need to remove the head anyway.