well ive always wanted to post my build for some years, I first got my starlet a good 2 years ago and ill post my history bit by

bit to let you all know whats its like owning one all the way over in Malaysia haha.

My name is Michael, originally from Scotland....moved over to Malaysia almost 10 years ago. Ive always loved cars and this is how I got my starlet :)

by any chance does anyone know how I can add photos and edit my topic, I got photobucket and copied some stuff, but im not so sure as to how I update my progress with pictures :sad:

Edited by muin1331
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after owning a late 70's Toyota Celica, and crashing it only a few weeks of ownership I found this little gem on an add for sale on the internet...she's fully converted to a gt but with 2 extra doors. I bought her for rm 22,5000 which equals to GBP 3,440. over here the price of cars are ridiculous, import tax on parts over 76.50 pounds is 35% plus gst which is an additional 6%. But its pretty bitter sweet here. Parts and cars are super expensive, but the laws are more easier to bend and street racing here is common :thumbsup: . well these are the pics of her when I found the add and she was in quite rough shape.

IMG_1146_zps35vusqzb.jpg

IMG_1119_zpssiaug75o.jpg

IMG_1376_zpszoo2fxyn.jpg

IMG_1149_zpso942cduo.jpg

Specs when bought were...

- stock 4efte

- hks mushroom airfilter

- razo shifter

- some k-car denso bov

- a funny looking exhaust tip with the word's (hks) in some weird font haha

- central locking and alarm system

- the rims that came with the car were not the ce's on.

- cusco oil catch tank

After a few weeks I managed to get her fully registered and I was just in love. I had never drove something so fast. :wub:

When I first got my gt I knew absolutely nothing about an engine, she was registered on the 10th of May 2013

Also found out that she used to have a few things that have since been removed haha, a t piece for a boost controller and there was a nitrous activation switch in the center console :unknw: .

IMG_1434_zpsh941u3kc.jpg

IMG_1820_zpswd4myol4.jpg painted the grill, headlight covers, and indicator trim to matte black

IMG_1639_zpsbfk3xpu4.jpg

Installed a new muffler, lowered the car abit and she was officially my daily. Over here there isn't winter, only a shitty monsoon season haha, but that never stopped me from driving my GT :D

are there alot of eps in malaysia or are they all on scrap yards

well the problem here is the fact that they are quite rare here, parts ill get from japan...a few half cut shops will have one sitting around, but the price is pretty shitty!

So my initial plan was to stay stock with asthetic upgrades, but that all chaned when I found the Ukstarletowners website :D . I knew nothing about mods, but with some chatting with my dad we decided to rebuild the engine and upgrade that turbo...

January of last year before I rebuilt the car we piggybacked the car and increased boost....I got this Thailand chip and was fitted well....it came with launch control which was pretty cool, but that then fried my dizzy cap :crazy:

fixed that up by changing the cap, rotor, and sparkplug cables...and the bov

IMG_4548_zps2gw262sa.jpg

IMG_4544_zps37vjeggn.jpg Sard R2D2

IMG_4573_zpsoeclodrm.jpg

IMG_4681_zpsfbb6ol0k.jpg Arospeed plug cables

IMG_4652_zpsnd9vj1mh.jpg

So the car ran better, a screwed wastegate actuator restricted me to only 0.8 bar on the CT9......I drove around for about 1 month till I sent her in to ger rebuilt!

So my initial plan for my setup was,

Engine

- 5e block + crank

- I got a hold of a garrett gt3076

- forged pistons + rods

- port and polish the head

- metal gasket

- arp headstuds

- gasket and seal kit

- intake would be fabricated

- custom turbo manifold

- 3 inch exhaust system

so I first gathered up the main parts needed....

IMG_3922_zpsdwv4c9yg.jpg

Got a hold of a 5efe.....bought it from a local half cut shop. There were only a handful left and I was pretty lucky to get one :thumbsup: .

I just took the block and crank for RM 1200 or GBP 181.29.

IMG_3949_zpsafrczsuv.jpg

IMG_4044_zpszrhhlur9.jpg

2BC6E795-161F-49A6-903B-5BB2D226C6F4_zpsSent the car in and managed to get the engine removed in a day!

IMG_4984_zpsed0zkpdn.jpg engine out!

IMG_5112_zpsc64cxidk.jpg the original pistons looked pretty good after all the beating I gave it :)

IMG_5084_zpsteihujez.jpg

got the 5e block back after being bored out, took about 3 attempts to get the clearances right

7646DFD7-02A4-4CBB-A482-8C3BA6C901E3_zps

then got this package through! Acl main bearings, trd 1.0 mm metal gasket and 4age Arp Headstuds :db:

IMG_5153_zpsg0nvqyjy.jpg

Cleaned the cams!

Cleaned the cylinder head and had to re tap the holes for the headstuds since I upgraded to 4age ones.....tricky stuff to do with not much experience, but luckily I had some aid from a few guys :thumbsup:

E9ED8338-4E30-4C98-9009-5D6F7591657B_zps

F076B40B-948D-4C49-AEB0-DBE79D06FF18_zps

Changed the valve stem seals!

9EE58CDB-D446-4B43-974D-E225CC5F0689_zps

A little glimpse of the engine being partially complete haha

192C4A19-4854-41B1-9BE0-13AFDD76C95C_zps

oversized the threads on the block to fit the studs

8BDAA2D7-383E-4F5F-9939-7574780B5CA0_zps

A view of the pistons before fitting them in...

IMG_4781_zpsicdsrwra.jpg

Pics of the gt30, this was the first turbo I put in....little did I know the problems it'd give me :sad:

IMG_4786_zpsevtt6icz.jpg

Bear in mind I loved the sheer pull it gave when on boost, but it never fit my setup, but this is during the time I put it on....

while doing the engine I sent the car down to my good friends paintshop, The paintjob quality was top notch! cost me around 300-400 pounds to do over here which is pretty damn cheap!

IMG_5440_zpsz1b7lmko.jpg\

So when I bought the car it was missing the rear arch and I searched high and low for it, but everyone was only willing to sell it with, the whole kit :sad: .

Well my Henry (painter) suggested he make one from scratch!

IMG_5498_zpslkknba8i.jpg

he did an amazing job on the fit and finish, looks exactly like stock!

more pics of her during paint

IMG_5442_zpsw1vgtesv.jpg

I cut out the grill so the intercooler could get some more air :thumbsup:

IMG_5441_zpsbiar3apj.jpg

IMG_5608_zpsjk5dzoil.jpg

Ive always wanted to go for a clean 'sleeper' look, so I got them to remover the vents from the rear bumper, looks really good and am chuffed to bits with the job!

IMG_5607_zpswo17ffjr.jpg