• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I tried my best to take apart the gearbox, ive always had a problem with shifting from 1st to 2nd.....somehow while just sitting there the whole jammed, I could only get 3rd and 4th

IMG_5407_zpsh4pqavtk.jpg

Got the cover off and this was as far as I got, the C- clip came off and when I tried pulling off the gears it was in there for good.....with help from my dad...he manage to play around with the linkage and get it working again :thumbsup: . Even though the gearbox was fixed, still isn't 100% fully functioning :sad:

the went on the the engine.....clearences were on spot, pistons and rods were assembled....

IMG_5390_zps8hqolfza.jpg

IMG_5375_zpsyhs8pt79.jpg

the crank in place, as all the fellow 5efte guys you have to redrill the flywheel bolt pattern to fit on the 4efte one!

IMG_6678_zpsoxyahqcu.jpg

I want to ask if any of you have experienced when your oil rings are too big for the pistons.....I did trim down them to fit, but im not sure if that is a safe way to do it?? ive never had compression issues but I have not pushed the car over 1bar!

So I got everything in....all torqued down, I did infact lose an ARP stud which cost me ordering a new box :cray:

IMG_6833_zpsc75kwtb0.jpg

IMG_6894_zpsq9lds6p7.jpg

So everything was coming together well....this was all a trial and error project, no experience at the time haha....so now I have more knowledge thanks to some guidance! (note, the missing stud :sad: )

So I did the head, port and polish. can't seem to find the pics of the process, but with help from my brother and Dad we lapped, did a port and polish then assembled everything back together!

IMG_6668_zpspzjltbue.jpg

by this stage it was already almost 3 months into the build

IMG_6919_zpslwwkjnfx.jpg

one thing I had to do since the 4age arp studs are larger in diameter is port a little off the part the holds the buckets in on the head

IMG_6921_zpselcjcrjj.jpg

so got the engine in for a quick mock up...removed it the next day to final fit everything in

IMG_7052_zpse482dyta.jpg

Over here airconditioning is a must, its really hot over here haha

next on the list was rims.....since the evo brakes are bigger I needed to use a 16inch rim, my current 15inch one's scrapped the caliper :sad:

so I found these used Thailand te37's for rm800 or (GBP 120)

IMG_7754_zpseslucf9l.jpg

IMG_7755_zpsi2pyapzv.jpg

they fit nicely and never had any clearance issues...

IMG_8339_zpsvqsic4jp.jpg

tyres wise I was in a tight budget, got these Altenzo sports comforters haha, I am not sure how long they will last, going for semi slicks next :thumbsup:

the dimentions of the tyres are 205/45/16....

intercoolerpiping was done and unfortunately Iearned a hard lesson using solid mountings :sad:

IMG_8816_zpst4jtyyrs.jpg

I think the shortest route help with lessoning turbo lag, moved the batt to the rear, so ill show u when I can get a picture!

forgot to mention...the radiator im using was an aftermarket for a b16...not sure on the dimentions, but fits perfectly :D

IMG_8810_zpsaiiunxxo.jpg

I did put in an oil filter relocator, I had no use of it after awhile so I took it off

IMG_9522_zpsg5eh6n77.jpg

I bought some Bride bucket seats from a friend...I did fab up some rails, but im not 100% happy with them :sad: will buy new rails when done :thumbsup:

IMG_1078_zpsrv3vepb1.jpg

installed better, engine mounting bushings :thumbsup: got this powerflex kit from ebay :D

it was now around October of last year. With the car mostly done, I was running the KKT piggyback, no airconditioning which was not so good haha. at 1.0bar of boost on the gt30 it was laggy without cams....I loved the force it gave when on boost but unfortunately the turbo was leaking, I then developed a bad miss after 5000rpm's I had no clue what was wrong...so I stripped the car apart changed sparkplugs, and no one around knew what was wrong with the car...It was pretty devastating, smoke coming out and a horrible problem.

IMG_9811_zpssw3pifpl.jpg

None the less I checked all solutions out.....until I checked the sparkplug cables and found this

IMG_9649_zpsdajfbidd.jpg

the end of the connector where the lead plugs into the socket had snapped off! this was merely due to the bad quality of the cables :unknw:

I managed to temporarily repair them, but the misfire issue was still not solved....2 months on and I had no clue, not only that but the problem messed the tuning on the management....I swapped out countless sparkplugs aswelll.

I then was working so I lost time to work on the car....had one crazy idea to swap turbos to try solve the smoke problem...I put in a Holset HX40 which is pretty overrated for a starlet :p . I did the swap in a few days, because I was going to New Zealand for a few weeks to see the gf....

IMG_1597_zps0lcfjbam.jpg

I used v-bands to connect the turbo housing to the downpipe, It was basically a quick cheap fix to let her run before I left for NZ

IMG_1603_zpsp7jeqfrf.jpg

Everything bolted on easily, except from the downpipe....it leaked like hell! was out of time and managed to drive her home, problem was still there with the missing, although I managed to narrow down the cause to the car going into limp mode.

IMG_8633_zps3lqnqdd5.jpg

Atleast I got some aweome gt turbo stickers for the side, got these in a smaller size with matte black as the colour :thumbsup:

IMG_8632_zpswheeyrko.jpg

small details give so much satisfaction!

So I got Back from NZ and I was all pumped to fix the issue with the car, I had a more clear vision as to what i want my starlet to look like, responsive and can go great round a corner, that hx40 was too big so I swapped it in for a td0g 16g...I would probably have to give thanks to my Dad as he helped me out a lot when doing the turbo change :thumbsup:

IMG_2427_zpswnfitj9g.jpg

so the plan was to cut the flange off my manifold and change it to fit the td05, but then i found this cheap manifold for only RM850 (GBP 128) :)

IMG_2654_zpsv2a0zw6x.jpg

It made the whole engine look 50hp faster, needed some modification to fit though

IMG_2723_zpsmjqzxtq3.jpg

Mocked up the location to where the turbo will sit... took the oil filter relocator off aswell!

So I think the best thing about living here is how the laws aren't so stricked, you can see car hanging on by a thread with gaping holes of rust still running with registration! Here there is something like an MOT, but unlike the law in UK you only have to go for the inspection when you buy a new or used car. Modification is limitless and can be sorted with some $$$ if you get into trouble haha, but the only issue is where I stay its very hard to find top notch quality work...luckily where my car is now has to be the best garage ive been to! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I never wanted to spend the money on a tow lorry and all that had to be done was the downpipe to the turbo, along with some intercooler piping adjustments as i opted for a smaller intercooler. The car ran, but was loud due to no downpipe, neither did i have boost :sad:.

With no bumper, loud exhaust and no numberplate I risked the drive! Managed with out any misshaps just a lot of attention for passing cars 8)

IMG_2986_zpsjtp8zcoi.jpg

IMG_2990_zpstqjgg3w4.jpg

On the hoist!

IMG_3043_zpstgyy3oxs.jpg

Intercooler position is abit different, slightly more to the side than going for mid mouting, so the piping is more of a shorter route.

IMG_3062_zpsb72gef1o.jpg

Done in a few days, was planning to have the intercooler flipped the other way so the outlets would be on top, but that can be changed in the future :thumbsup:

job was done well for the price, then headed out back home this time with everything connected together...still the limp mode issue was still ticked off about that!

IMG_3084_zpsa4etvnd2.jpg

fit the bumper back on and gave her a well deserved wash!

the misfiring issue wasn't solved so I made time to work on the car at home for the time being. Bought sparkplug cables and a new distributor to try fix the problem...by then the car was yet again puffing smoke and using a ton of oil....couldn't really catch a break :sad:

took out the turbo and saw this....

IMG_3450_zpsvutiexvj.jpg

not a good sign at all...barely 30km's on a new turbo

IMG_3451_zpshfatp4lp.jpg

bought a cheap service kit to try and fix it myself :thumbsup:

IMG_3093_zpsxla10t6p.jpg

gave me a chance to put these in :D

D670C8E6-EAFB-411E-A220-718E973E1339_zps

found out that the suspension mountings had crumbled and got these off a guy (cusco adjustable pillowballs)

E977D35E-7925-4CC6-AE1C-B179F8201BC8_zps

gave them a clean before putting them in

IMG_4970_zps0yrkefqt.jpg

I rebuilt the turbo....fit it in and also sprayed the intercooler and piping matte black haha. I got some info that maybe the cause of the miss could be the knock sensor. I did switch the 4e for the 5e one when doing the conversion so I found that and replaced it. Car started great took her for a spin and job was done! got 0.5 bar no problem but the car never had a tune as I removed the piggyback. was pretty bittersweet as the turbo was smoking on boost but not as bad :D . was still very chuffed with fast that she was running properly engine wise.

basically this is her now...been at a new workshop for a month or so now, but hope to get her back soon...installing an adaptronic e420d and ive changed to a td0520g :thumbsup:

1CFB9128-0439-4678-89A3-69FD640F3123_zps

067BAF7C-D1C1-49E4-9DFD-CD412928947D_zps

Ive went with recirculating the wastegate, exhaust piping is still 3 inch, might change it to 2.5

F21D7431-0CF0-447B-9FCC-79B1293E1DEF_zps

airconditioning condenser in place

car is now at a new workshop called GP Racing, I needed to finally get her done...im pretty limited with what i can do experience wise and with the tools i have. she's in good hands now should be on the dyno within a few weeks, then ill finally see the hp i can squeeze out of her :thumbsup:

I will post all the updates i can get when i visit the shop ^_^

went to see the car today, management almost fully installed and the intake was taken out to fix the throttle cable bracket. If all is well she should be on the dyno next week :yahoo: . vids will come and Ill post up the dyno sheet, 250 on wheel would be good (fingers crossed!) a big thanks to the lads at GP!

12021850_981630321900168_1116212785_n_zp

12033637_981630178566849_131973979_n_zps

This will be a ton of fun! The Adaptronic E420D has launch control, 2 maps, anti lag, what I do like is the software its really user friendly, but I wont be doing the tuning, Ill leave it up to the pro's for that!

Any other Members using this computer in their starlets?

IMG_6604_zpslij1cnnw.jpg

saw this aswell! doing some work on the hoist

IMG_6603_zpsqnyeibfx.jpg

running a 4age, the engine bay is pretty clean, all the wires tucked away nicely.