ive read into this advanced timing on other threads, and it sounds like a good free noticable gain!!

just a few questions tho to mak sure i want to do it!!

- has anyone done damage to there cars from doing it?

- can i run advanced timing on normal fuel?! ( bit reluctant to pay out on v-power when payed £1.10 for a -20mpg 200sx, doing 39 miles aday!!!

- can anyone on here do it themselves? if so, i may ask a favour!!!!

- would it be better to advance it when i have fitted my rolla mani ( more air causing a problem? )

any help wud be greatly apreciated!

If youve never timed an engine before, i highly recommend you dont try it bud, Advance or retard too much and you'll do damage.

Ill see if i can find the guide for how to time a 5efe up..I'll have a hunt for ya bud...

Also gives torque settings and valve clearences etc.. Just incase you need them ever :blink:

As Rick said basically.

When you advance or retard the timing on the distributor, youre going to be adjusting the timing over the WHOLE rev range.

So for instance you may increase the power between 2-4k but 4k onwards you may be losing power.

You'll really want an ecu hooked up to view the tables and adjust according to rev.That way you can advance or retard accordingly and get maximum power and torque across the whole spectrum.

It might feel savage between certain ranges but then it may drop off torque/power in a different rev range and feel like a bag of wank..

Craig.

on a 200sx, leave it alone mate.

go and see jez in newbury (horsham developments) if you want some more power, he'll remap the stock ecu to whatever spec you want.

Post this question on SXOC (sx owners club), see what response you get there. an SR20DET is an entirely different animal to a 4E.....

- has anyone done damage to there cars from doing it?

- can i run advanced timing on normal fuel?! ( bit reluctant to pay out on v-power when payed £1.10 for a -20mpg 200sx, doing 39 miles aday!!!

- can anyone on here do it themselves? if so, i may ask a favour!!!!

- would it be better to advance it when i have fitted my rolla mani ( more air causing a problem? )

any help wud be greatly apreciated!

I advanced mine slightly but reterded it back to normail the day before the notts meet due to the slight drop off in econemy due to my increase in daily commute but there is a noticable difference!! In the starlet you would only pay an extra £2 max for a full tank of higher ron fuel!! so it wouldn't be a huge difference!!

on a 200sx, leave it alone mate.

go and see jez in newbury (horsham developments) if you want some more power, he'll remap the stock ecu to whatever spec you want.

Post this question on SXOC (sx owners club), see what response you get there. an SR20DET is an entirely different animal to a 4E.....

hi mate, i wouldnt even bother on the 200sx lol... i was refering to my starlet N/A that people have tried this on. cheers though.. ive spoke to them about it in the past!!

I advanced mine slightly but reterded it back to normail the day before the notts meet due to the slight drop off in econemy due to my increase in daily commute but there is a noticable difference!! In the starlet you would only pay an extra £2 max for a full tank of higher ron fuel!! so it wouldn't be a huge difference!!

oh rite so youve done it then rob?? what gains/difference did you feel, what areas etc?!!

cheers

its funny you should ask this i didn't really think there was much difference but it does seem to have lost a bit of the edge at about 60mph so im off in the garage in a sec to advance it again!! But when its advanced it just seems a bit nippier in general!