Ignition Timing

Thought this would be easy!

Set the dizzy to where it was before I had it apart, put the car into diagnostic mode, shone the light, and it looked about 10 degrees out.

Adjusted it to the right marks, but the dizzy is almost at the end of it's travel and that to me doesn't seem right. It has to be rotated almost fully anti clockwise to be at 10 degrees BTDC.

No error codes, and I've tried to bridge the TPS but this made no difference.

Car has EMB fitted if that makes a difference?

Cheers

Tim

• 4 months later...

In the end I just lined it up with my marks as best I could and left it.

Wouldn't recommend it, but I was booked on a track day the following weekend.

Unrelated, but the car lasted 7 laps of Silverstone before spectacularly blowing it's head gasket. This was down to a 'warped' block face and not timing.

I think you're going to have to spend some time figuring out if the TPS is right.

Not the answer I wanted to hear haha

I have been reading up and I believe that when the ecu detects knock it adjusts the timing 10degrees? So if I was to disconnect the battery for a while let it reset then put it in diagnostic mode and try again it should have sorted itself out?

Need to get the car driving to take it up to td on Saturday (3.5hour drive)

I was seeing advanced 10 degrees over, I'd imagine any timing adjustment would retard timing for safety.

I also guess that as soon as you put it into fixed timing/diag mode it removes that.

Once I've rebuilt the engine I suspect I'm going to run into the same problem so will have to revisit it, my first port of call was to reset the tps and make sure it was working correctly.

I would have thought putting it in dignostic mode would mask the issues if the tps was having issues. Sure you the the gun set up right. As colin said the dial should be at 0 if timing to the 10mark

Weird.. I was getting a flashing ECU light on the dash.

I'll have much longer to spend on sorting it next time, so will post back here when that time comes about.