How easy would it be to turbo my 4EFE?

Hi all. Just wondering what would be involved to turbo my 4EFE?

It wouldn't actually stay in my starlet, but would be the engine I choose to put in my classic mini which I will be getting in a few months, so was wondering what work would be involved to turbo it.

I'd upload some pictures but I'm not sure how you do it :\.

Cheers

get a emanage blue wired in the 4efe loom and a remap thats it

for hardware just bolt it on if your not boosting to high weld bung to sump for oil return thats it

turbo kit

exhaust

then over time when money allowes buy

4efte clutch/fly

4efte thermostat housing

complete 4efte intake system

its up to you how thurolly you want to go

Edited by 5e colin

I have these Thats.

CT9 Turbo

Manifold

Tmic and piping

Inlet with tb and all sensors

Injectors

Sump pain with oil pick up and return

Oil filter housing

Thermostat housing and water lines.

Getting it mapped by Td with emanage blue also anyone correct me if I'm missing owt.

Already have 4efte clutch and lightweight. .:)

Edited by Walker96

I used a turbo ignition system, ancillary loom, ECU when i turbo'd the 85, MAP, IAT & Knock sensors too. Also a standard FTE oil filter relocator. Had the sump modified for the oil return. 212mm paddle clutch kit & flywheel. Maybe more shit.

As ive said in loads of these threads there are loads of ways to go about turboing a 4EFE, just depends which way you wanna do it :)

get a emanage blue wired in the 4efe loom and a remap thats it

for hardware just bolt it on if your not boosting to high weld bung to sump for oil return thats it

turbo kit

exhaust

then over time when money allowes buy

4efte clutch/fly

4efte thermostat housing

complete 4efte intake system

its up to you how thurolly you want to go

I don't really have the knowledge to do it myself, so what sort of rough cost would I be looking at to buy the parts and pay someone to fit it all? I don't need massive power because the idea is that if my engine fits into a classic mini and I add a turbo, 130bhp would be more than enough for what I need, so no need to up the boost.

I used a turbo ignition system, ancillary loom, ECU when i turbo'd the 85, MAP, IAT & Knock sensors too. Also a standard FTE oil filter relocator. Had the sump modified for the oil return. 212mm paddle clutch kit & flywheel. Maybe more shit.

As ive said in loads of these threads there are loads of ways to go about turboing a 4EFE, just depends which way you wanna do it :)

The Emanage blue seems to be a great way to bypass messing with a whole loom (I dislike electrics lol) so it seems that would save a bit of money? As I said above its to go in a classic mini so no need to go over 160bhp at the very most!

What sort of bhp would I be looking at as a base line if I do the most simple turbo bolt on?

by the way thanks for all the replies, really appreciate the help and sounds a lot simpler than I thought it would be ( I was expecting to be told I'd need to replace internals etc ).

Tuning developments does a deal I got quoted 549 for emanage blue fitting and mapping bud:)

Did you just hand them all the parts like turbo etc and they just fitted it all? If so that sounds like a great deal! Are you running a 4EFE engine too?

Did you just hand them all the parts like turbo etc and they just fitted it all? If so that sounds like a great deal! Are you running a 4EFE engine too?

Could ask them but me and my mate are fitting mine next month should be getting mapped after the new year bud and yeah 4efe :)

That deal is just for the emanage and mapping buddy

Edited by Walker96

Could ask them but me and my mate are fitting mine next month should be getting mapped after the new year bud and yeah 4efe :)

That deal is just for the emanage and mapping buddy

Nice mate, I imagine it would be like another £500, but at least for £1,000 odd it will all been done by the pros and no bodges lol. How comes you went for a CT9 turbo instead of a td04? What are those two turbos off of as well as i'm not sure how much they cost. Did you just buy your parts from someone breaking their 4efte?

Nice mate, I imagine it would be like another £500, but at least for £1,000 odd it will all been done by the pros and no bodges lol. How comes you went for a CT9 turbo instead of a td04? What are those two turbos off of as well as i'm not sure how much they cost. Did you just buy your parts from someone breaking their 4efte?

Some lad was selling all bits in one lol will be upgrading in the future to a td04.

Can imagine you can pick up a ct9 cheap though lol

you lucky bugger! ;). How much did all the parts you bought of him set you back? what car is the CT9 off? found a TD04 on ebay from a WRX if thats the right one? looking for £150 or best offer but not sure if that is cheap or not haha.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-Wrx-Td04L-Tdo4-Turbo-TD-04-Turbocharger-Unit-TD-o4-Td04-TD-04L-/291597131444?hash=item43e48b1eb4:g:OiAAAOSw37tV~r~6

I really do hope that my 4efe engine isn't too much hassle to put into a mini, as it doesn't seem too much to have a turbo put on! Don't want to start going too mad and buying parts without knowing it will fit in haha.

My little starlet has not missed a beat in the last 3 weeks and 1,000 miles odd that i've done, but with 115,000 miles on the clock would people say its still worth boosting? I saw on another thread that its worth re freshing the engine, but have no clue whatsoever how much that would cost!

I will be servicing it this weekend with new plugs, 5w30 millers oil and oil filter so i'm sure my starlet will love me for that :).

also for the last 15 years its been owned by a vicar, so i'd like to think it hasn't been ragged around everywhere but I guess you never know..

I really do hope that my 4efe engine isn't too much hassle to put into a mini, as it doesn't seem too much to have a turbo put on! Don't want to start going too mad and buying parts without knowing it will fit in haha.

My little starlet has not missed a beat in the last 3 weeks and 1,000 miles odd that i've done, but with 115,000 miles on the clock would people say its still worth boosting? I saw on another thread that its worth re freshing the engine, but have no clue whatsoever how much that would cost!

I will be servicing it this weekend with new plugs, 5w30 millers oil and oil filter so i'm sure my starlet will love me for that :).

also for the last 15 years its been owned by a vicar, so i'd like to think it hasn't been ragged around everywhere but I guess you never know..

Depends if you wanna spend the money on it bud. I'd say it's definitely worth the money on these little cars mate. So much fun. But I'd do handling before power bud that's what I've done:)

http://mearcatmini.blogspot.co.uk/

Not mine, but someone doing something similar. I'd say that's quite the project, and you might be in for quite the invoice if you can't carry out the work for yourself.

Had a quick read, I scrolled down pretty far, only to realise the most recent post was at the top :\ lol. Yeah I imagine the bill will be a lot, but that's just part of it because I don't have welding/fab experience and want to know the mini (that will be my daily drive) is safe and not bodged haha.

Depends if you wanna spend the money on it bud. I'd say it's definitely worth the money on these little cars mate. So much fun. But I'd do handling before power bud that's what I've done:)

If I get the go ahead that a subframe can be bought/made to house this engine then I have no doubt I will go for it. If people have managed to fit a b18 into a classic round nose mini, surely a 1.3 efe with a little turbo can squeeze in! :).

If I do get the go ahead, the engine will be coming out the starlet at some point so I only see it being worth while getting it refreshed and have it all built before putting it into the mini so it doesn't have to come out again :). Lots and lots to think about I guess!