Alternator gone?

So driving back from placement this evening, and I noticed that when I hit the brakes two lights came on the dash. This isn't my picture, but it was the battery light and the one to the right of it.

IMG_0325_zpse319b159.jpg

So after I let off the brakes the lights stayed on and then went out after 4 seconds or so. Kept happening as I hit the brakes.

Radio started going quiet so turned that and the heaters off. Then the lights stayed on almost consistently even when accelerating. Managed to nurse it home, literally as I pulled onto the drive the headlights went out LOL

Grabbed my multimeter, it read 7v across the battery as car was running (lumpy at this point). Put the drivers window up and car died out!

So what are we thinking, is my alternator shot? Is there anything else I can check?

If it is my alternator, can I jump start it and drive to a garage? Or will hitting the brakes kill the battery before I get there :S

Thanks

Amjad

Check the alternator belt is still there, if it is check its tight.

When its not charging it puts the battery light on and the CAT temp sensor light on.

You can test the alternator with a multimeter to see if its charging, should read around 14.5V

By the sounds of it its not been charging the battery and its killed it.

If you can trickle charge the battery overnight then that would be ideal, if not you might be able to jump start it, turn off all the electrics and try get some kinda charge in the battery and it should make a short journey to a garage.

Nice one man

Belt was there, didn't have a feel of it but looked normal

Where would I be attaching the multimeter contacts to on the alternator?

How long do you reckon I can drive the car? Wanted to drop it down to Grant who is about half hour away

Sounds like alternator alright. When car is running put multimeter onto battery and you should get 14.5v. If you don't see this then alternator is not charging. Your car will not go for a half hour on battery power alone. This is an easy replacement job to go at yourself. All you need is a 14 socket and spanner. 12 socket and pull out alternator plug. You might aswel get a new belt and reinstall. Only two bolts hold in the alternator:)