whos using a Starlet turbo for everyday use and BHP?

I totally understand where you are coming from. My old MK1 was the dogs bollocks it looked amazing inside and out and was quick. I only had it for a short space of time i imported it and had her for 3 months before i had to sell which was a heart break. But from what i found from the owner who bought it off me the first thing that went was the turbo after a little while of owning it. A month after the gearbox went then after that the engine blew. This is the worry that i have with it i see a lot of people have reliable cars and some dont but saying that a lot of people are right as they have the correct mods to cope with the extra HP. But like you say there are rough ones out there but you can say that about any car out there. I currently have a Leon Cupra R which i love i had a yellow one a couple of years back which was nothing but bad news almost blew the turbo as the owner before treated it like shit and bodged everything on it but this new one is amazing well looked after and to be honest the engines are bullet proof.

Just saying i get 40mpg out of my 300bhp gt on a run

wow mate that is brilliant.

And yes with a boost controler you can change the peak boost the car will run . Mine has three settings .8 bar 1.1 bar and 1.4 although i just always leave it on 1.4

thank you for that mate i was wondering if you could have a couple of settings on it as i would have hi and low buttons

Yes they are relatively good on fuel, and yes they do put out good power, sorry to burst bubbles, their not going to compete with other engines:

- Not a true twin cam design

- No variable valve timing

- Low compression

- Tiny exhaust valves (for fuel economy reasons)

- No direction injection

To name but a few.

Its a 25+ year old engine design for a small hatchback, Toyota are hardly gonna equip it with direct injection!!

We're lucky to have EFI multipoint on it haha never mind direct injection!! Most hatchbacks back then still had fuckin carbs.

Not all brand new cars today are even fitted with half that list mate.

Yes the 4EFTE has flaws but get a good standalone in there with decent sensors and sky is the limit really.

Its a 25+ year old engine design for a small hatchback, Toyota are hardly gonna equip it with direct injection!!

We're lucky to have EFI multipoint on it haha never mind direct injection!! Most hatchbacks back then still had fuckin carbs.

Yes the 4EFTE has flaws but get a good standalone in there with decent sensors and sky is the limit really.

Thanks mate still seems like it is a car that i would like to have another one.

Thanks mate still seems like it is a car that i would like to have another one.

Yeah defo, ive had a few myself now.

Not the best cars in the world by a long way but as a nice little all rounder you cant do much better for the money imo :)

Couldn't agree with this more.

As far as for the time they were made.

I say if you buy a good one with relative mileage and you werent to modify it then you would have relatively trouble free motoring.

I drove mine for around 3 years standard with 0 problems.

If you know your stuff when buying your car thats the key.

If your not so clued up then you'll have problems.

Thanks boys I will defintaly get some more info when the time comes but i will probably take the engine out and strip it down to get a good look. Change the issue parts for new ones like the big end bearing for piece of mind and the other trouble bits and pieces.